Life, we learn too late, is in the living, the tissue of every day and hour.Stephen B. Leacock
- When we step on the floor every second that clock is ticking, we are pedal to the metal, we run the ball, we pressure the ball, and most importantly we control the tempo of the game, we make them play Richmond Oiler ball.
- [to the people in attendance at the board hearing] You really need to consider the message you're sending these boys by ending the lockout. It's the same message that we as a culture send to our professional athletes; and that is that they are above the law. If these boys cannot honor the simple rules of a basketball contract, how long do you think it will be before they're out there breaking the law? I played ball here at Richmond High 30 years ago. It was the same thing then; some of my teammates went to prison, some of them even ended up dead. If you vote to end the lockout, you won't have to terminate me; I'll quit.
- I came to coach basketball players, and you became students. l came to teach boys, and you became men.
- In this state you're 80% more likely to go to prison than college.
- Timo Cruz: Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people don't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. Sir I just wanna say thank you...you saved my life.
- This quote is based on Our Deepest Fear by Marianne Williamson
- Jason Lyle: You said we're a team. One person struggles, we all struggle. One person triumphs, we all triumph.
- [Timo Cruz tries to punch Coach Carter, but Carter blocks it and slams him against the wall]
- Timo Cruz: Teachers ain't supposed to touch students.
- Coach Carter: I'm not your teacher. I'm your new basketball coach.
- Coach Carter: You, shooting the ball, what's your name sir?
- Jason Lyle: Jason Lyle, but I ain't no sir.
- Coach Carter: Oh, well are you a madam?
- [team laughs]
- Coach Carter: Well...not quite your storybook ending huh...but you played like champions...you never gave up...and champions..they hold their heads high. What you achevieved goes way beyond what'll be on the front page of tomorrows paper...what you acheived some people search their whole lives to find...and gentlemen...I am so proud of you. 4 months ago I came to Richmond with a plan..and that plan failed...I came to teach basketball players and you became students...I came to teach boys, and you became men. And for that I thank you. If some walked up to me and told me I could coach any school in the state...you know who I'd choose?
- Worm: St. Francis?
- Kenyon: Richmond?
- Coach Carter: Rich-what?
- Whole team: Richmond.
- Coach Carter: Where we from?
- Whole Team: Richmond!!!
- Coach Carter: What we love?!
- Whole Team: RICHMOND!!!
- Jason Lyle: [to Coach Carter as he walks into the gym] Sir, they can cut the chains off the door, but they can't make us play.
- Damien Carter:We've decided we're going to finish what you've started, sir.
- Worm: Yeah, so leave us be, coach. We've got shit to do, sir.
- Coach Carter:What's your deepest fear?
- Worm: Why he keep saying that? What's your deepest fear? What's that mean?
- Principle Garret: Your job Mr. Carter is to teach these boys basketball ' I suggest you start doing your job
- Ken Carter: Your job is to educate these students , I suggest you start doing yours.
- Kenyon Stone: [running suicides] Yo, how many we gonna do?
- Coach Carter: Sir.
- Kenyon Stone: Yo, sir, how many we gonna do?
- Coach Carter: Let's see how many you can do in... one hour and seven minutes.
- Coach Carter: I end up taking a road trip to the suburbs where I find my drunk ass point guard on top of Daddy's little princess.
- Worm: Actually, I was on the bottom, coach, she was on the top.
- It begins on the street. It ends here.
- Samuel L. Jackson — Coach Ken Carter
- Rob Brown — Kenyon Stone
- Robert Ri'chard — Damien Carter
- Rick Gonzalez — Timo Cruz
- Antwon Tanner — Worm
- Channing Tatum — Jason Lyle