Man's fear of ideas is probably the greatest dike holding back human knowledge and happiness.Morris L. Ernst
- When a man is full of the Holy Ghost, he is the very last man to be complaining of other people.
- Every one must see daily instances of people who complain from a mere habit of complaining.
- Richard Graves, Olla Podrida 6 October 1787
- There is an unfortunate disposition in a man to attend much more to the faults of his companions which offend him, than to their perfections which please him.
- No talent, no self-denial, no brains, no character, is required to set up in the grumbling business; but those who are moved by a genuine desire to do good have little time for murmuring or complaint.
- I pity the man who can travel from Dan to Beersheba and cry, 'Tis all barren!
- Laurence Sterne, A Sentimental Journey Through France and Italy (1768) In the Street, Calais