Quotes about cycling and bicycles.
Cycling is a recreation, a sport and a means of transport across land. It involves riding bicycles, unicycles, tricycles and other human powered vehicles (HPVs). A bicycle is a pedal-driven land vehicle with two wheels attached to a frame, one behind the other.
- I want to die at a hundred years old with an American flag on my back and the star of Texas on my helmet, after screaming down an Alpine descent on a bicycle at 75 miles per hour. I want to cross one last finish line as my stud wife and my ten children applaud, and then I want to lie down in a field of those famous French sunflowers and gracefully expire, the perfect contradiction to my once anticipated poignant early demise.
- Lance Armstrong, It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life (2001)
- Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live.
- Mark Twain, Taming the Bicycle
- I began to feel that myself plus the bicycle equaled myself plus the world, upon whose spinning wheel we must all earn to ride, or fall into the sluiceways of oblivion and despair. That which made me succeed with the bicycle was precisely what had gained me a measure of success in life -- it was the hardihood of spirit that led me to begin, the persistence of will that held me to my task, and the patience that was willing to begin again when the last stroke had failed. And so I found high moral uses in the bicycle and can commend it as a teacher without pulpit or creed. She who succeeds in gaining the mastery of the bicycle will gain the mastery of life.
- Frances E. Willard, How I Learned To Ride The Bicycle (1895)
- The bicycle has a soul. If you succeed to love it, it will give you emotions that you will never forget.
- But finally the last thing I'll say to the people who don't believe in cycling, the cynics and the sceptics. I'm sorry for you. I'm sorry that you can’t dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles. But this is one hell of a race. This is a great sporting event and you should stand around and believe it. You should believe in these athletes, and you should believe in these people. I'll be a fan of the Tour de France for as long as I live. And there are no secrets - this is a hard sporting event and hard work wins it.
- Lance Armstrong, Podium farewell speech, Tour de France, July 24, 2005
- Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- The bicycle, surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets.
- Christopher Morley
- The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.
- John Howard (not the Australian Prime Minister.)
- When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race.
- This, my first [bicycle] had an intrinsic beauty. And it opened for me an era of all but flying, which roads emptily crossing the airy, gold-gorsy Common enhanced. Nothing since has equaled that birdlike freedom.
- Elizabeth Bowen, on acquiring a bicycle at age 13
- Let me tell you what I think of bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel...the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood.
- The bicycle is the most civilised conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart.