To fill the hour—that is happiness.Ralph Waldo Emerson
The College Kicked-Out (2004)
- I'm 'bout to give my baby mother a raiseI'll make the hooker happy 'cause she got me eight bookings last weekThat's what I call using your headAddicted to limelight, if I lose it I'm deadYou know? I think I'll fake my own funeralOr maybe not, because nobody would showSo when they say a word for the dearly departedI'll hop out the coffin like "yeah, bitch!"My rap career's started
- "I Need A Publicist"
- And as the mouthpieceOf every single citizen without peaceDirection and leadershipI'ma spit it 'til your ears can't believe this shitWe got weapons of mass destruction, and we is it
- "Talk To You (remix)"
- I wish the government would quit tappin' phones in the ghetto(Leave us alone) I wish my student loans were all settledI wish they'd quit riggin' elections, the shit is depressin'Bet your bottom dollar Bush wins again, no questionI wish AIDS didn't existI wish I didn't have flashbacks of my cousin slittin' his wristsI wish there weren't so many single mothers and deadbeat dadsYeah
- "I Wish"
- You mad at the last album, I apologize for itYo, I can't call it, man muh'fuckin' Wyclef spoiled it
- Two roads diverged in a wood, I took the one less travelledI'm patient so that's one less hassleIf I dream it, I can live itI've seen the light with vivid imageryI need to write with fits of energyBut it's hard tryin' to get where I'm goin'Without a hint or an omenIt's too late to turn aroundPerseverance, gotta learn it nowBut I'm stubborn howAm I supposed to survive this rollercoaster hurtlin' to the ground?
- The worst thing is that it hurts to seeAn uneducated black man in his thirtiesBut y'all don't hear me or your eyes are wide shutDudes goin' to job interviews high as fuckWhat the fuck? I see politicians makin' promisesTo fuck us up quicker than the '80s Reaganomics didI see bums on the stoop lookin' stupidThey had a shot at life and didn't use itDamn
- "My Whole World"
- I guess it's true what they say, the third time's a charmI grabbed the game and let it die in my armsThen resurrected itChanged clothes, same flow, perfected itThey know Swain though they still won't respect the kidBut I ain't slowin' upThis time, blowin' upSponsors, concerts, everybody showin' upKnow enough tricks of the trade to get a record deal:Fresh kicks, press kits, sex appealHad to mail my demo out 'cause I ain't had enough bus passTo take the bus first classSo frustrated, had to puff-puff-passSent my CD out to Puff, Puff passedMust've had enough trash on his desk this yearSent one to So So Def, but it fell on so so deaf earsI never once shed tears, this must be a test here
- I used to think that things would be okay ifMaybe I just pray and play my partI'd start to build a rapportWith more MCs, but see it's not asEasy as it seems, it seems I needA little more practiceMy measures was drasticBut what would you doIf food eluded you andYou were much too poor to affordA cordless phone to phone for helpWhat else is left? I guess theBest solution is to pay your dues...I had hella problemsProb'ly gotta drop up outta collegeKnowledge is the key, the lock was in my walletCall it a hunch, but once I bunched my plans togetherSeverin' ties, creatin' new onesI knew somebody'd prob'ly hear what I had to sayMy patience payin' off, I'm off to better daysBut hey I promise I'll be back, but packed with platinum plaquesI'll see you at the Grammys
- "It's Okay"
- November 14th, 2003Nobody else at school was screamin' louder than meWhen I discovered I was being expelled, for the hell of it'You why you gettin' kicked out?' Forget it, it's irrelevantD. Swain ain't never dwell on shitSo why would he start now?The perfect time for him to depart, vowedTo make a name for myselfGet some fame, maybe gain some wealth (what else?)I gave you the pain of a black man going through thangsJust being myself and showing you SwainNow a nigga feelin' disenchanted, jaded'Cause instead of gettin' props, Danny got hatedYeah I made it to the top, but I'm tossin' myself offD. Swain kill his image? Chalk it up as a lossGoodbye
- "Now You're Gone"
Danny Is Dead (2007)
- I'm the most prolific artist, tried to oust PicassoUsed my whole head; nose bled, rhymes out the nostrilsI always ate supper but my supplement's determinationDropped a couple hints and yearned for greatnessMama I'm gonna singI used to keep a stack of records from StaxA record in fact, never met a cat with more records than thatAmple samples for pickin', my hands was cramped from the mixin'But dammit Dan's so ambitious, I think he's on to somethin'
- "The World Is Yours"
- So one time for my disillusioned artists, I hear yaTwo times for the kid that air-guitars in the mirrorThree times for the 9-to-5-in' bus ridin' dudesAnd four times for my dreamers, yo I'm just like youThat's why I sing for my queens with their own pair of wingsMy brothers flyin' beside me, drama behind meMama tried to find me, she inquired emphaticallyI was in the sky with all these other ghetto kids, defying gravity, uh
- "Fly, Pt. 2"
- Tribe purist to the fullestIf'n you ain't feelin' this track, then you're full of itPull that li'l shit if you wanna, ya digBut you ain't gonna do me like you did those Kidz, and clown meHomage, comma, propsCall it what you want, but I'm not gonna stopRecord hit the store and I'm not gonna flopAnd if I do, well then it's fodder for the message boards tomorrow, say what
- "Check It Out"
Remixes and B-sides
- Well I, after hatin' I forgave him, it was hardThen I got a call from a major-label A&RHe said to send a demoBut my dreams flew out the windowWhen I peeped a Trap Squad mixtape with my instrumentalsDamn, I'm sick of niggas shittin' meI'm fixin' to be the cynical-est nigga aliveI, picked up the phone, gathered all my loose penniesHired lawyers for the case, I have a lawsuit pendin'
- "Fullaschidt (remix)", (2006)
- We do have a lot of similarities. But when they say, "you’re trying to be like Kanye", or "your style is too Kanye for me"...I don’t sit around saying "how would Kanye say this?" or "how would Kanye do this?". So for that reason it hurts so much...[but] I think [we] have very different sounds. The only reason people can point the Kanye finger at me is 'cause of the title of my first album, and I take blame for that.
- Somedays I feel like throwing it all away and focusing on graduating so I can be finished with school, and other days I'll have an idea that I want to put down and next thing you know I've written an ill song or made a beat that I'm proud of. At the end of the day I'll always have the passion for creating new music because I love it. Whether or not I release it commercially was where all the "retirement" talk came from...I might make a song here and there, but as far as another solo album in stores it is up in the air at this point. But I wouldn't rule it out entirely!
- On rumors of retirement from the music business (ThaHipHop.com, 2006)