David Robert Joseph Beckham (born May 2, 1975) is an English footballer who plays for Los Angeles Galaxy and captained the English national team from November 15, 2000 to July 2, 2006, after which John Terry adopted the role.
- 10 heroic lions, one stupid boy.
- Daily Mirror headline after Beckham's sending off against Argentina. Daily Mirror, 1 July 1998.
- David Beckham is Britain's finest striker of a football not because of God-given talent but because he practises with a relentless application that the vast majority of less gifted players wouldn't contemplate.
- Sir Alex Ferguson (1999), Managing My Life 137.
- He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's all right.
- You really are Captain Fantastic.
- Martin Tyler (2001), England vs. Greece
- It is totally out of the question. There is no way we would sell him, or any of our best players
- Sir Alex Ferguson before selling David Beckham, 12 April 2003
- I found it mysterious that he should be singled out, presumably because of a disappointing campaign, when I thought – unless I’m going crazy – that he had done as much as anyone involved to get us there. I think he’s a wonderful athlete. A brilliant footballer. An exemplary man and a great ambassador for England and for the game. He’s given me so much pleasure, David Beckham. I admire him tremendously.
- "After the match against Greece, I actually sent David Beckham a letter. That goal was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen."
- Oona King, Labour MP, after Beckham scores in the last minute to send England to the World Cup