Life at its noblest leaves mere happiness far behind; and indeed cannot endure it. Happiness is not the object of life: life has no object: it is an end in itself; and courage consists in the readiness to sacrifice happiness for an intenser quality of life.George Bernard Shaw
Spoken by Davy Jones
- "Do you fear death? Do you fear that dark abyss? All your deeds laid bare, all your sins punished? I can offer you…an escape." ---to dying sailor
- "Life is cruel. Why should the afterlife be any different? I offer you a choice. Join my crew, and postpone the judgment. One hundred years before the mast. Will ye serve?" ---to dying sailor
- "Then you were a poor captain, but a captain nontheless. Have you not introduced yourself, all these years, as Captain Jack Sparrow? Ha, ha, ha!" ---[[To Jack on board the Black Pearl]]
- "Let no joyful voice be heard! Let no man look up to the sky with hope! And let this day be cursed by we who ready to wake…the Kraken!" ---[[spoken while summoning the Kraken]]
- "Your son was fortunate enough to find a ship, but yet not so fortunate enough to find land! Ha ha!" ---[[ to William "Bootstrap Bill" Turner (deleted scene from "Creating Davy Jones" on the Dead Man's Chest DVD)]]
- "Who sent that thieving charlatan on to my ship? Who told him of the key? …Jack Sparrow." ---[[to Koleniko on William Turner]]
- "Damn you, Jack Sparrow!" ---[[discovering his heart is missing from the Dead Man's Chest]]
- "James Norrington, do you fear death?" [Norrington thrusts his sword into Jones' shoulder and dies] "I'll take that as a no. [He removes the sword, and inspects it] Hmm, nice sword." ---[[Davy Jones to a dying James Norrington]]
- "Do you fear death?" ---repeated line
- "You will not forestall my judgement!" ---[[to William "Bootstrap Bill" Turner]]
- "You forget: I'm already a heartless wretch!" ---to Will Turner.
- "Calypso…" ---final line
- "I do believe I could fight you with no weapons at all!" ---Davy Jones before his duel with Will Turner
Spoken about Davy Jones
- "Ye know of Davy Jones? A man of the sea. A great sailor. Until he ran afoul of that which vexes all men…" ---[[Tia Dalma]]
- "Whoever possesses that chest, possesses the leverage to command Jones to do whatever it is he or she wants…" ---[[Jack Sparrow to Elizabeth Swann on the Dead Man's Chest]]
- "There's an evil on these seas that even de most staunch and bloodt'irsty pirates 'ave come to fear." ---[[Tia Dalma to Elizabeth Swann]]
- "Many things you were, Davy Jones, but never cruel. You have corrupted your purpose and so yourself and you did hide away what should always have been mine!" ---[[Tia Dalma to Davy Jones]]
- "They should be in de care of Davy Jones. That was the duty him was charged wid, by the goddess, Calypso. To ferry those who die at sea to de other side. And every ten years, him could come ashore…to be with she who love him…truly. But the man has become a monster."
"So he wasn't always…tentacle-y?"
"No. Him was a man, once." ---[[Tia Dalma and Ragetti in Davy Jones' Locker]]
- "But I wonder, Sparrow. Can you live with this? Can You condemn an innocent man, a friend, to a lifetime of servitude in your name while you roam free?"
"…Yep, I'm good with it. Should we seal it in blood—I mean, er, ink?
Three days." ---[[Davy Jones and Jack Sparrow]]
- "He couldn't literally put his heart in a chest…could he?"
"It was not worth feeling what small, fleeting joy life brings…And so, him carve out him heart, lock it away in a chest, and hide the chest from the world." ---[[Pintel and Tia Dalma]]
- "The boy's not here. He must have been claimed by the sea."
"I am the sea." ---[[Maccus and Davy Jones]]
- "They're here, and I cannot set foot on land again for near of a decade."
"You'll trust us to act in your stead?"
"I'll trust you to know what awaits you should you fail!"" ---Davy Jones and Maccus
- "We need prisoners to interrogate, which tends to work best when they're alive."
"The Dutchman sails as its captain commands!"
"And its captain is to sail as commanded!" ---[[Cutler Beckett and Davy Jones]]
- "Ten years I devoted to the duty you charged me. Ten years I looked after those who died at sea. And finally, when we could be together again…you weren't there! Why weren't you there?"
"It's my nature. Would you love me if I was anything but what I am?"
"I do not love you." ---[[Davy Jones and Tia Dalma]]
- "Lookie here, boys. A lost bird…a lost bird that never learned to fly."
"To my great regret…but never too late to learn, aye?"" ---Davy Jones and Jack Sparrow
- "The chest! Hand it over."
"I can set you free, mate."
"My freedom was forfeit long ago!"" ---Davy Jones and Jack Sparrow
- "Come to join my crew again, Master Turner?
Not yours. His." ---Davy Jones and Will Turner (referring to Beckett)
- "You can do nothing without the key!"
"I already have a key."
"No you don't."
"Oh, that key."" ---Davy Jones and Jack Sparrow
- "Ah, love. A dreadful bond! And yet, so easily severed." ---[[Davy Jones to William Turner and Elizabeth Swann]]
- "Tell me, William Turner; do you fear death?"
"You're a cruel man, Jack Sparrow."
"Cruel is a matter of perspective."
"Is it? [Jones turns and stabs William Turner]." ---[[Davy Jones and Jack Sparrow]]