It is the paradox of life that the way to miss pleasure is to seek it first. The very first condition of lasting happiness is that a life should be full of purpose, aiming at something outside self.Hugo Black
Debate is a formal method of interactive and position representational argument.
- Argument is to me the air I breathe. Given any proposition, I cannot help believing the other side and defending it.
- Gertrude Stein
- First written as an undergraduate at Radcliffe College (1895); "The Radcliffe Manuscripts", Form and Intelligibility (1949)
- Ignorantia non est argumentum.
- Translation: Ignorance is no argument.
- Baruch Spinoza, Ethica ordine geometrico demonstrata et in quinque parses distincta, Part 1, Addendum; Amsterdam, 1677.
- Originally used to oppose traditional theological views that everything exists and is determined by divine intervention because no other plausible reason or explanation is seen.
- It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle it without debate.
- Argument, as usually managed, is the worst sort of conversation, as in books it is generally the worst sort of reading.
- Behind every argument is someone's ignorance.
- The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right.
- Debate is the death of conversation.
- He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows that his reason is weak.
- A long dispute means both parties are wrong.
- Never contend with one that is foolish, proud, positive, testy, or with a superior, or a clown, in matter of argument.
- People generally quarrel because they cannot argue.
- The purely agitational attitude is not good enough for a detailed consideration of a subject.
- Weak arguments are often thrust before my path; but although they are most unsubstantial, it is not easy to destroy them. There is not a more difficult feat known than to cut through a cushion with a sword.
- When much dispute has past, We find our tenets just the same as last.