A dream is the experience of envisioned images, sounds, or other sensations during sleep. The events of dreams are often impossible or unlikely to occur in physical reality, and are usually outside the control of the dreamer.
Dreams can also be what we want for ourselves in our lives, our hopes, our expectations, our plans – things which we wish for ourselves but often seem forever to be tantalizingly just beyond our reach.
- Dreams are the touchstones of our characters.
- Without a dream you'll not get anywhere.
- I have had a dream, past the wit of man to say what dream it was.
- William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream (1595-6)
- People say that your dreams are the only things that save ya... Come on baby in our dreams, we can live our misbehaviors
- There are no miracles, but we all dream of them!
- Leonid S. Sukhorukov, All About Everything (2005)
- To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub:
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come,
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil..."
- I have spread my dreams beneath your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
- William Butler Yeats in "He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven"
- What if you slept, and what if in your sleep you dreamed, and what if in your dream you went to heaven and there you picked a strange and beautiful flower, and what if when you awoke you had the flower in your hand? Ah, what then?
- Dreams are but the illusion that we put upon ourselves to make life in an unbearable world liveable.
- A man's moral conscience is the curse he had to accept from the gods in order to gain from them the right to dream.
- Dreams are as advice given by a very wise - very drunk - old man. A wealth of knowledge behind them, yes, but always, always to be treated with cynicism.
- The center of every man's existence is a dream.
- Dreams are extremely important. You can't do it unless you imagine it.
- Dreams are the bright creatures of poem and legend, who sport on earth in the night season, and melt away in the first beam of the sun, which lights grim care and stern reality on their daily pilgrimage through the world.
- Charles Dickens, Nicholas Nickleby
- Dreams are there to pave your way towards to success...
- Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream.
- Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.
- I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas: they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.
- Emily Bronte, Catherine in Wuthering Heights (1847) (p. 120 in the Penguin 1995 edition)
- If you don't have a dream ... Then you'll never have a dream come true,
- If you live your dreams, you'll never have to wake up.
- It takes a lot of courage to show your dream to someone else.
- Nothing happens unless first a dream.
- Reach high, for stars hidden in your soul. Dream deep, for every dream precedes the goal.
- Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real.
- The net of the sleeper catches fish.
- The point, as Marx saw it, is that dreams never come true.
- The universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose.
- They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.
- Edgar Allan Poe, Eleonora (1841)
- Those dreams that on the silent night intrude, and with false flitting shapes our minds delude ... are mere productions of the brain. And fools consult interpreters in vain.
- Jonathan Swift, On Dreams
- Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Frequently misattributed to Mark Twain
- We live, as we dream--alone...
- Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness
- When we can't dream any longer we die.
- Yes, I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can find his way by moonlight, and see the dawn before the rest of the world.
- You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
- It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
- Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling)
- A dream is a wish your heart makes...
- If you don't have a dream, it can't come true.
- Life being what it is, one dreams of revenge.
- We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
- William Shakespeare, The Tempest
- All men dream: but not equally, Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did.
- T. E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom
- By believing in his dreams, a man turns them into reality.
- Hergé, Belgian writer
- So yeah, dreams are important. And I think there are more dreamers today than ever before in the history of anything... but... they're so afraid, so many of them. Afraid to lose all their 'manageable misery.' It's all just so... so... pathetic. Pathetic... and selfish. Are you seriously telling me... that you would deny the world an exquisite painting just because the cardboard firm from down the street is hiring? That you'd stay out of politics because your mates would think you a twat? That the greatest secrets of quantum physics would go forever unearthed... because Dad thinks girls are fit only for babymaking? Does that really sound good enough for you? Really? Maddening! And don't you dare tell me I'm unrealistic. I know a body's chance of sinking their claws into a dream are fairly grim. But... not to try? To settle into the gray doldrums with nary a peep?
- Aaron A., Serenity Rose
- But only in their dreams can men be truly free. 'Twas always thus, and always thus will be.
- John Keating (Dead Poets Society)
- Dreams are not what you have when you sleep, dreams are those that don't let you sleep.
- Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, Former Indian President
- A dream is a wish your heart makes!
- I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past.
- You must have a dream for fulfill it!
- by shany & liat
- Dream BIG dreams, little dreams have no magic.