Eastern Promises is a 2007 film about a young Russian teenager who dies while giving birth and the midwife who tries to solve the mystery of who the girl is and why she came to this end. Directed by David Cronenberg and written by Steven Knight.
- Forget any of this happened. Stay away from people like me.
- Okay. Now I'm going to do his teeth and cut off his fingers. You might want to leave room. (Puts out his cigarette on his tongue)
- Kirill, we don't kill little babies.
- It's always good to have someone who I can trust, to do simple tasks. In this business, sometimes the biggest danger comes from the most stupid things.
- I will need my spectacles and a clear head. Today I broke my rules and I drank vodka. Tomorrow I will translate it, and then I will bring what I've done to your home.
- So, you know where I am...and now I know where you are, Anna Ivanovna.
- Anna: Have you ever met a girl named Tatiana?
- Nikolai Luzhin: I meet lot of girls named Tatiana.
- Anna: She was pregnant.
- Nikolai Luzhin: Ah, in that case - no, I've never heard of her.
- Anna: She died on my shift.
- Nikolai Luzhin: I thought you did birth?
- Anna: Sometimes birth and death go together. She came in with needle punches all over both arms. Probably a prostitute, at the age of fourteen. Do you think Semyon's son knew her?
- Nikolai Luzhin: I am driver. I go left, I go right, I go straight ahead - that's it.
- Anna: How did you get in here?
- Semyon: There are always open doors, Anna Ivanovna.
- Anna: So you've read the diary. How can you keep doing what you're doing?
- Nikolai Luzhin: I'm just a driver.
- Anna: My uncle has gone missing, since I told you about him translating the diary.
- Nikolai Luzhin: Your uncle is fine, he is in Edinburgh, in a 5-Star Hotel. I was ordered to send him to Heaven with a bullet in his brain... instead I gave him a first class ticket to Scotland. He is old-school, he understands things... exile or death.
- Nikolai Luzhin: I need you to take Semyon out of the picture. I want you to arrest him.
- Yuri: Arrest him for what?
- Nikolai Luzhin: Rape. The girl was 14.
- Yuri: And of course she will testify?
- Nikolai Luzhin: She is dead, but she had Semyon's baby. If you can prove baby was his, and girl was underage, that is statutory rape. You have baby, you need Semyon's DNA. For poetic reasons, I suggest you take his blood.
- Anna: Why are you doing this, why are you helping us?
- Nikolai Luzhin: I can't become king if someone else already sits on the throne.
- Naomi Watts - Anna
- Viggo Mortensen - Nikolai Luzhin
- Armin Mueller-Stahl - Semyon
- Vincent Cassel - Kirill
- Sinead Cusack - Helen
- Donald Sumpter - Yuri