Happiness is like those palaces in fairy tales whose gates are guarded by dragons: we must fight in order to conquer it.Alexandre Dumas
- 1 1. Ultimatum
- 2 3. Motives
- 3 4. Nature
- 4 5. Imprint
- 5 6. Switzerland
- 6 7. Unhappy Ending
- 7 8. Temper
- 8 10. Scent
- 9 11. Legends
- 10 12. Time
- 11 13. Newborn
- 12 14. Declaration
- 13 15. Wager
- 14 16. Epoch
- 15 17. Alliance
- 16 19. Selfish
- 17 20. Compromise
- 18 21. Trails
- 19 22. Fire and Ice
- 20 23. Monster
- 21 24. Snap Decision
- 22 26. Ethics
- 23 27. Needs
- 24 Epilogue — Choice
- 25 References
- 26 External links
- "Honestly though, why do you read [Wuthering Heights] over and over?" [...]
"I think it's something about the inevitability. How nothing can keep them apart — not her selfishness, or his evil, or even death, in the end..."
- Edward Cullen and Bella Swan, p. 29
- "If we could bottle your luck, we'd have a weapon of mass destruction on our hands."
- Edward Cullen to Bella Swan, p. 31
- "Do you really have any idea how important you are to me? Any concept at all of how much I love you?" [...]
"I know how much I love you," I answered.
"You compare one small tree to the entire forest."
- Edward Cullen and Bella Swan, p. 34
- "I don't have any leeches on my speed dial."
- Jacob Black to Edward Cullen, p. 77
- "I'm really glad Edward didn't kill you. Everything's so much more fun with you around."
- Emmett Cullen to Bella Swan, p. 93
- "Did you seriously just stamp your foot? I thought girls only did that on TV."
- Jacob Black to Bella Swan, p. 119
- "I am a neutral country. I am Switzerland. I refuse to be affected by territorial disputes between mythical creatures."
- Bella Swan to Edward Cullen, p. 143
- "You don't seem to grasp how dangerous a young werewolf can be. [...] You shouldn't be so reckless."
My voice turned acidic. "Yes, because a vampire slumber party is the pinnacle of safety conscious behavior."
- Alice Cullen and Bella Swan, p. 146
- "You are in trouble," I said slowly, emphasizing each word. "Enormous trouble. Angry grizzly bears are going to look tame next to what is waiting for you at home."
- Bella Swan to Edward Cullen, p. 149
7. Unhappy Ending
- "Would you like to hear my story, Bella? It doesn't have a happy ending — but which of ours does? If we had happy endings, we'd all be under gravestones now."
- Rosalie Hale, p. 154
- "This is nice," I commented when he pulled the warm sodas from the grocery bag. "I've missed this place."
He smiled, looking around at the plastic sheds bolted together over our heads. "Yeah, I can understand that. All the splendor of the Taj Mahal, without the inconvenience and expense of traveling to India."
- Bella Swan and Jacob Black, p. 179
- "Does my being half-naked bother you?"
- Jacob Black to Bella Swan, p. 216
- Hanging out with no one but extremely dexterous people all the time was going to give me a complex.
- Bella Swan, p. 240
- "If there were any way for me to become human for you — no matter what the price was, I would pay it."
- Edward Cullen to Bella Swan, p. 273
- "I'm not that girl, Edward. The one who gets married right out of high school like some small-town hick who got knocked up by her boyfriend! Do you know what people would think? Do you realize what century this is? People don't just get married at eighteen! Not smart people, not responsible, mature people! I wasn't going to be that girl! That's not who I am...."
- Bella Swan, p. 275-276
- "Emmett and I were away hunting. Jasper shows up, covered in battle scars, towing this little freak" — he nudged Alice playfully — "who greets [the whole family] by name, knows everything about them, and wants to know which room she can move into."
- Edward Cullen
- If I didn't watch myself, I might end up writing my History essay on the vampire wars of the South.
- Bella Swan, p. 318
- I tried to imagine telling my parents that I was getting married this summer. Telling Angela and Ben. I couldn't. I couldn't think of the words to say. It would be easier to tell them I was becoming a vampire.
- Bella Swan, p. 324
- "I can't wait to see what Edward does to you! I hope he snaps your neck, you pushy, obnoxious, moronic DOG!"
- Bella Swan to Jacob Black, p. 332
- "I hate you, Jacob Black."
"That's good. Hate is a passionate emotion."
"I'll give you passionate," I muttered under my breath. "Murder, the ultimate crime of passion."
- Bella Swan and Jacob Black, p. 332
- "Why did she hit you?"
"Because I kissed her," Jacob said, unashamed.
"Good for you, kid," Charlie congratulated him.
- Charlie Swan and Jacob Black, p. 336
- Emmett grinned. "Fall down again, Bella?"
I glared at him fiercely. "No, Emmett. I punched a werewolf in the face."
Emmett blinked, and then burst into a roar of laughter.
- Emmett Cullen and Bella Swan, p. 342
- "I feel so useless. So...normal." She cringed in horror of the word.
"I can't imagine how awful that must feel. Being normal? Ugh."
- Alice Cullen and Bella Swan, p. 347
- Edward rode in the backseat of my father's police car, behind the fiberglass divider, with an amused expression — probably due to my father's amused expression, and the grin that widened every time Charlie stole a glance at Edward in his rearview mirror.
- Bella Swan, p. 351
- They stood out from the rest of the crowd, their beauty and grace otherworldly. I wondered how I'd ever fallen for their human farce. A couple of angels, standing there with wings intact, would be less conspicuous.
- Bella Swan about Alice and Edward Cullen, p. 354
- I saw Emmett grin at Mike over the food table, the red lights gleaming off his teeth, and watched Mike take an automatic step back.
- Bella Swan, p. 368
- "The imprinting compulsion is one of the strangest things I've ever witnessed in my life, and I've seen some strange things. [...] It reminds me of A Midsummer Night's Dream with all the chaos caused by the fairies' love spells...like magic."
- Edward Cullen to Bella Swan, p. 418
- I wondered if I was a monster. Not the kind that [Edward] thought he was, but the real kind. The kind that hurt people. The kind that had no limits when it came to what they wanted.
- Bella Swan, p. 423
- I couldn't believe how awkward and idiotic I felt. I was too innocent — which was, of course, central to the discussion. I didn't have the faintest idea how to be seductive. I would just have to settle for flushed and self-conscious.
- Bella Swan, p. 442
- "Bella," he murmured, his voice warm and velvet. "Would you please stop trying to take your clothes off?"
"Did you want to do that part?"
- Edward Cullen and Bella Swan, p. 450
- "You make me feel like a villian in a melodrama — twirling my mustache while I try to steal some poor girl's virtue."
- Bella Swan to Edward Cullen, p. 453
- "You can't make me go somewhere you won't be," I vowed. "That's my definition of hell. Anyways, I have an easy solution to all this: let's never die, all right?"
- Bella Swan to Edward Cullen, p. 455
- The urge to fight must be a defining characteristic of the Y chromosome. They were all the same.
- Bella Swan, p. 463
- "Edward is the only person I've ever kissed."
"But I don't count that as a kiss, Jacob. I think of it more as an assault."
- Bella Swan and Jacob Black, p. 476
- "Sometimes I think you like me better as a wolf."
"Sometimes I do. It probably has something to do with the way you can't talk."
- Jacob Black and Bella Swan, p. 478
22. Fire and Ice
- "Odd as this might sound, I suppose I'm glad you're here, Jacob."
"You mean 'as much as I'd love to kill you, I'm glad [Bella's] warm', right?"
"It's an uncomfortable truce, isn't it?"
- Edward Cullen and Jacob Black, p. 497
- "You know, Jacob, if it weren't for the fact that we're natural enemies and that you're also trying to steal away the reason for my existence, I might actually like you."
"Maybe...if you weren't a disgusting vampire who was planning to suck out the life of the girl I love...well, no, not even then."
- Edward Cullen and Jacob Black, p. 503
- "And when does this little truce end?" Jacob asked. "First light? Or do we wait until after the fight?"
There was a pause as they both considered.
"First light," they both whispered, and then laughed quietly.
- Jacob Black and Edward Cullen, p. 504
- I was like Cathy, like Wuthering Heights, only my options were so much better than hers, neither one evil, neither one weak. And here I sat, crying about it, not doing anything productive to make it right. Just like Cathy.
- Bella Swan about Edward Cullen and Jacob Black, p. 517
- Seth jumped to his feet again suddenly, the hackles on the back of his neck standing up stiffly. I looked around, but saw nothing. If Seth didn't cut it out, I was going to throw a pinecone at him.
- Bella Swan, p. 520
24. Snap Decision
- "[W]hen I left you, Bella, I left you bleeding. Jacob was the one to stitch you back up again. That was bound to leave its mark — on both of you. I'm not sure those kinds of stitches dissolve on their own."
- Edward Cullen, p. 534
- "[Y]ou are bizarrely moral for a vampire."
- Bella Swan to Edward Cullen, p. 536
- [Victoria] wheeled and flew toward the refuge of the forest like an arrow from a bow.
But Edward was faster — a bullet from a gun.
- Bella Swan, p. 553
- "I'm exactly right for you, Bella. It would have been effortless for us — comfortable, easy as breathing. I was the natural path your life would have taken. [...] If the world was the way it was supposed to be, if there were no monsters and no magic..."
- Jacob Black, p. 599
- "He's like a drug for you, Bella." His voice was still gentle, not at all critical. "I see that you can't live without him now. It's too late. But I would have been healthier for you. Not a drug; I would have been the air, the sun."
- Jacob Black, p. 599
- It had not been Edward and Jacob that I'd been trying to force together, it was the two parts of myself, Edward's Bella and Jacob's Bella. But they could not exist together, and I never should have tried.
- Bella Swan, p. 608
- I read the lines quietly, mostly to myself. "'If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a might stranger.'" I nodded, again to myself. "I know exactly what she means. And I know who I can't live without."
- Bella Swan to Edward Cullen, about Cathy from Wuthering Heights, p. 610-611
- [Edward] once again slid my ring into place on the third finger of my left hand.
Where it would stay — conceivably for the rest of eternity.
- Bella Swan, p. 620
Epilogue — Choice
- "I don't even like Bella Swan. And you've got me grieving over this leech-lover like I'm in love with her, too. Can you see where that might be a little confusing? I dreamed about kissing her last night! What the hell am I supposed to do with that?"
- Leah Clearwater to Jacob Black, p. 623
Meyer, Stephenie. (2007). Eclipse. Park Avenue, New York: Little, Brown and Company, 629. ISBN 978-0-316-16020-9.