When you have once seen the glow of happiness on the face of a beloved person, you know that a man can have no vocation but to awaken that light on the faces surrounding him; and you are torn by the thought of the unhappiness and night you cast, by the mere fact of living, in the hearts you encounter.Albert Camus
Soul on Ice (1968)
- The price of hating other human beings is loving oneself less.
- Part I: "Becoming"
- All the gods are dead except the god of war.
- Part I: "'The Christ' and His Teachings"
- If a man like Malcolm X could change and repudiate racism, if I myself and other former Muslims can change, if young whites can change, then there is hope for America.
- Part II: "The White Race and Its Heroes"
- Americans think of themselves collectively as a huge rescue squad on twenty-four-hour call to any spot on the globe where dispute and conflict may erupt.
- Part II: "Rallying Round the Flag"