Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence.Erich Fromm
- The ancient owls' nest must have burned.
Hastily, all alone,
a glistening armadillo left the scene,
rose-flecked, head down, tail down
- Poem: The Armadillo
- The big fish tubs are completely lined
with layers of beautiful herring scales
and the wheelbarrows are similarly plastered
with creamy iridescent coats of mail,
with small iridescent flies crawling on them.
- Poem: At the Fishhouses
- Why should I be my aunt,
or me, or anyone?
boots, hands, the family voice
I felt in my throat, or even
the National Geographic
and those awful hanging breasts
held us all together
or made us all just one?
- Poem: In the Waiting Room
- From a magician's midnight sleeve
distribute all their love-songs
over the dew-wet lawns.
- Poem: Late Air
Poems, North and South (1946)
- The armored cars of dreams contrived to let us do
so many a dangerous thing.
- Poem: Sleeping standing up
- Topography displays no favorites; North's as near as West.
More delicate than the historians' are the map-makers' colors.
- Poem: The Map