Loving can cost a lot but not loving always costs more, and those who fear to love often find that want of love is an emptiness that robs the joy from life.Merle Shan
- People should be very free with sex, but they should draw the line at goats.
- 1976 interview with Rolling Stone magazine[]
- It's very important to have two tiaras when you're on the road, you never know when you'll be invited to something really formal.
- Elton John[]
- Welcome to the world of bullshit my dear. You have arrived.
- The internet has stopped people from going out and being with each other, creating stuff. Instead they sit at home and make their own records, which is sometimes OK but it doesn’t bode well for long-term artistic vision. It’s just a means to an end. We’re talking about things that are going to change the world and change the way people listen to music and that’s not going to happen with people blogging on the internet. I mean, get out there, communicate. Hopefully the next movement in music will tear down the internet. Let’s get out in the streets and march and protest instead of sitting at home and blogging. I do think it would be an incredible experiment to shut down the whole internet for five years and see what sort of art is produced over that span. There’s too much technology available. I’m sure, as far as music goes, it would be much more interesting than it is today.
- Elton John, blaming the internet for destroying good music []
- You can call me a fat, balding, talentless old queen who can't sing — but you can't tell lies about me
- After winning a libel case against The Sun which had accused him of having underage sex.
- And it seems to me you lived your life like a candle in the wind.
- Candle in the Wind
- Goodbye England's rose, may you never grow old in our hearts.
- Candle in the Wind, song tribute to Princess Diana
- I'm still standing, better than I ever did.
- I'm Still Standing
- Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting.
- Song title
- And you can tell everybody, this is your song.
- Your Song
- I'm a Rocket Man
- Rocket Man
- You're gonna here electric music, solid walls of sound
- Bennie and the Jets
Elton John on other people
- There just aren't many people in the world with balls that big and talent that awesome.
- You and your oven are capable of great things / Remember, no two ovens are the same.
- From the song Conventional Oven Thermostat[]
- An agent is a person who is sore because an actor gets 90% of what they make.
- Anyone who lip-synchs in public on stage when you pay £75 to see them should be shot.
- Accusing Madonna of lip-synching during her Re-Invention world tour, which Madonna denied
- Since when has lip-synching been live?
- Talking about Madonna's award for best live act
- I cannot bear successful people who are miserable.
- I'm the Connie Francis of rock 'n' roll.
- People in England are so bloody nosy.
- Rude, vile pigs! Do you know what that means? Rude, vile pigs. That's what you are.
- Losing his cool with photographers and TV crews in Taiwan
- Sometimes when I'm flying over the Alps I think, 'that's like all the cocaine I sniffed.[]