Happiness is a matter of one's most ordinary everyday mode of consciousness being busy and lively and unconcerned with self. To be damned is for one's ordinary everyday mode of consciousness to be unremitting agonizing preoccupation with self.Iris Murdoch
- He who has a thousand friends has not a friend to spare,
And he who has one enemy will meet him everywhere.
- Ali, A Hundred Sayings.
- A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies.
- There is only one thing more useful in politics than having the right friends, and that is having the right enemies.
- Anonymous, Economist 375: 8432 (June 25, 2005), p. 84.
- The shaft of the arrow had been feathered with one of the eagle's own plumes. We often give our enemies the means of our own destruction.
- Aesop, "The Eagle and the Arrow".
- I tell thee, be not rash; a golden bridge is for a flying enemy.
- Lord Byron, The Deformed Transformed.
- J'ai toujours fait une prière à Dieu, qui est fort courte. La voici: Mon Dieu, rendez nos ennemis bien ridicules! Dieu m'a exaucé.
- The wise person finds enemies more useful than the fool does friends.
- Baltasar Gracián, The Art of Worldly Wisdom, in Maxim 84.
- The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
- We can learn even from our enemies.
- If you love your enemies, you won't have any.
- Above all things, never be afraid. The enemy who forces you to retreat is himself afraid of you at that very moment.
- Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
- Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.
- I destroy my enemy when I make him my friend.
- I have no trouble with my enemies. I can take care of my enemies in a fight. But my friends, my goddamned friends, they're the ones who keep me walking the floor at nights!
- Observe your enemies, for they first find out your faults.
- My enemy is my teacher. From them I can learn patience and restraint.
- Buddist proverb
- Lord have mercy on my enemies, cause I sure as hell won't.
- General George S. Patton
- Keep your friends close, your enemies closer
- Sun Tzu, Chinese general & military strategist
- I've always said that in politics, your enemies can't hurt you, but your friends will kill you.
- Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate.
- If you go looking for enemies then you will find them — the fucking bastards!
- You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Be a better person; make your enemies happy by giving them more reasons to hate you.