The object of love is to serve, not to win.Woodrow Wilson
- He who has a thousand friends has not a friend to spare,
And he who has one enemy will meet him everywhere.
- Ali, A Hundred Sayings.
- A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies.
- There is only one thing more useful in politics than having the right friends, and that is having the right enemies.
- Anonymous, Economist 375: 8432 (June 25, 2005), p. 84.
- The shaft of the arrow had been feathered with one of the eagle's own plumes. We often give our enemies the means of our own destruction.
- Aesop, "The Eagle and the Arrow".
- I tell thee, be not rash; a golden bridge is for a flying enemy.
- Lord Byron, The Deformed Transformed.
- J'ai toujours fait une prière à Dieu, qui est fort courte. La voici: Mon Dieu, rendez nos ennemis bien ridicules! Dieu m'a exaucé.
- The wise person finds enemies more useful than the fool does friends.
- Baltasar Gracián, The Art of Worldly Wisdom, in Maxim 84.
- The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
- We can learn even from our enemies.
- If you love your enemies, you won't have any.
- Above all things, never be afraid. The enemy who forces you to retreat is himself afraid of you at that very moment.
- Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
- Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.
- I destroy my enemy when I make him my friend.
- I have no trouble with my enemies. I can take care of my enemies in a fight. But my friends, my goddamned friends, they're the ones who keep me walking the floor at nights!
- Observe your enemies, for they first find out your faults.
- My enemy is my teacher. From them I can learn patience and restraint.
- Buddist proverb
- Lord have mercy on my enemies, cause I sure as hell won't.
- General George S. Patton
- Keep your friends close, your enemies closer
- Sun Tzu, Chinese general & military strategist
- I've always said that in politics, your enemies can't hurt you, but your friends will kill you.
- Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate.
- If you go looking for enemies then you will find them — the fucking bastards!
- You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Be a better person; make your enemies happy by giving them more reasons to hate you.