Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a 2004 film about a couple who undergo a procedure to erase each other from their memories when their relationship turns sour, but it is only through the process of loss that they discover what they had to begin with.
- Sand is overrated. It's just tiny, little rocks.
- She was nice. Nice is good.
- Why do I fall in love with every woman I see that shows me the least bit of attention?
- I'm constitutionally incapable of making eye-contact with a woman I don't know.
- Valentine's Day is a holiday invented by greeting card companies to make people feel like crap.
- This is working like gangbusters!
- Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating.
- Are we like those bored couples you feel sorry for in restaurants? Are we the dining dead?
- It's all being wiped away.
- I could die right now, Clem. I'm just... happy. I've never felt that before. I'm just exactly where I want to be.
- I loved you on this day. I love this memory.
- Drink up, young man. It'll make the whole seduction part less repugnant.
- I'm always anxious thinking I'm not living my life to the fullest, y'know? Taking advantage of every possibility? Just making sure that I'm not wasting one second of the little time I have.
- ...you stop listening to what is true, and what is true is constantly changing.
- Meet me in Montauk.
- You can't be ugly - be pretty.
- I apply my personality in a paste.
- I'm a vindictive little bitch, truth be told.
- I'm just a fucked up girl trying to find her own peace of mind. I'm not perfect.
- Don't assign me your life.
- [quoting Alexander Pope] "How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned."
- [quoting Friedrich Nietzsche] "Blessed are the forgetful: for they get the better even of their blunders."
- Adults are, like, this mess of sadness and phobias.
- Clementine: Hi!
- Joel: I'm sorry?
- Clementine: Why?
- Joel: Why what?
- Clementine: Why are you sorry? I just said "hi."
- Joel: No, I didn't know if you were talking to me, so...
- Clementine: [looking around the empty car] Really?
- Joel: [embarrassed] Well, I didn't want to assume.
- Clementine: Aw, c'mon, live dangerously. Take the leap and assume someone is talking to you in an otherwise empty car.
- Joel: Anyway. Sorry. Hi.
- Clementine: You're not a stalker or anything, right?
- Joel: I'm not a stalker. *You're* the one that talked to me, remember?
- Clementine: That is the oldest trick in the stalker book.
- Joel: Really? There's a stalker book? Great, I gotta read that one.
- Clementine: Joel, I'm not a concept. Too many guys think I'm a concept or I complete them or I'm going to make them alive, but I'm just a fucked up girl who is looking for my own peace of mind. Don't assign me yours.
- Joel: I remember that speech really well.
- Clementine: I had you pegged, didn't I?
- Joel: You had the whole human race pegged.
- Clementine: Probably.
- Joel: I still thought you were going to save me. Even after that.
- Clementine: I know.
- Clementine: This is it, Joel. It's going to be gone soon.
- Joel: I know.
- Clementine: What do we do?
- Joel: Enjoy it.
- [During Joel's exploration of a memory]
- Joel: Is this how it looks?
- Howard: This- this is... yeah, this is about what it should look like.
- Joel: [In the house on the beach] I really should go! I've gotta catch my ride.
- Clementine: So go.
- Joel: I did. I thought maybe you were a nut... but you were exciting.
- Clementine: I wish you had stayed.
- Joel: I wish I had stayed too. NOW I wish I had stayed. I wish I had done a lot of things. I wish I had... I wish I had stayed. I do.
- Clementine: Well I came back downstairs and you were gone!
- Joel: I walked out, I walked out the door!
- Clementine: Why?
- Joel: I don't know. I felt like I was a scared little kid, I was like... it was above my head, I don't know.
- Clementine: You were scared?
- Joel: Yeah. I thought you knew that about me. I ran back to the bonfire, trying to outrun my humiliation.
- Clementine: Was it something I said?
- Joel: Yeah, you said "so go." With such disdain, you know?
- Clementine: Oh, I'm sorry.
- Joel: It's okay.
- Clementine: You know me, I'm impulsive.
- Joel: That's what I love about you.
- Joel: I can't see anything I don't like about you.
- Clementine: But you will, you will think of things and i'll get bored with you and feel trapped because that's what happens with me.
- Joel: Ok.
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 3rd Draft Script at BeingCharlieKaufman.com
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind quotes at the Internet Movie Database
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind at Rotten Tomatoes