Evan Mecham (May 12, 1924) former Governor of the state of Arizona and the first U.S. governor to simultaneously face removal from office through impeachment, a scheduled recall election, and felony indictment.
- "Don't ever ask me for a true statement again!"
- "I've got black friends, I employ black people. I don't employ them because they are black; I employ them because they're the best people who applied for the cotton-picking job."
- "Whenever I'm in my house or my office, I always have a radio on. It keeps the lasers out."
- "As I was a boy growing up, blacks themselves referred to their children as pickaninnies"
- "Well, the N.B.A.. I guess they forget how many white people they get coming to watch them play."
- "Golly, I don't know. I don't know whether he speaks English or not"
- When asked how he would greet Pope John Paul II
- "Kinda be careful, because you might get your tit in a wringer by saying something that isn't quite proper"
- "There's been an awful lot of lying going on, and I'm not sure who's lying and who's telling the truth."
- Japanese really like to play golf, and their eyes really light up when you say we have got over 200 golf courses in Arizona. My goodness, golf courses -- suddenly, they got round eyes.
- "Ev has become an ethical pygmy." – Stan Turley, President of Arizona State Senate
- "Ev Mecham has the morals of a used-car salesman." – Joe Lane, Speaker of the Arizona House of Representatives
- "We usually back Republicans, but he's a different kind of Republican." – William L. Raby, Arizona Chamber of Commerce chairman