FernGully: The Last Rainforest
Ferngully: The Last Rainforest is a 1992 film that follows Zak, a young slacker working for a logging team cutting down trees in the rainforest. Little do they know that they are coming close to a magical place called FernGully, and its fairy inhabitants. Crysta, a young fairy with slight magic ability, shrinks Zak to fairy-size, and together they fight to save the home that is threatened by logging and a polluting force of destruction called Hexxus, who the loggers accidentally release from his twisted-tree prison.
- (feeding on fumes from the Leveler after being freed) Mmmmmmm... delicious. A first class smoke... Mother's milk! What is this delightful thing? And how did I get out of that tree? Of course... Humans. What wonderful creatures. So clever, so helpful... I must take this wonderful human thing to... Fern... Gully.... [evil snicker]
- From Toxic Love - Hit me one time, hit me twice., oh, ah, that’s rather nice
Oil and grime, poison sludge
Diesel oil and noxious muck
Slime beneath me, slime up above
Oh you’ll love my toxic love
- I see the world and all the creatures in it
I suck 'em dry and spit 'em out like spinach
Cause greedy human beings will always lend a hand
with the destruction of this worthless jungle land
And what a beautiful machine they have provided
To slice a path of doom with my sweet breath to guide it.
- Filthy ground, acid rain
Pouring down like egg chow mein
Slime beneath me, slime up above
Oh, you’ll love my toxic love.
- (about the Leveler) What a miraculous device... Ha-ha-ha! I'm really getting the hang of this! I do believe we are destined to be soulmates!
- (about Crysta) Oh lovely wings. So easily detached!
- Hello. I'm a nocturnal, placental flying mammal; member of the family Pterodidae, or Ptero-didn't-I--(chuckles) If you can't tell, I'm a bat!
- (imitating Scotty) Aye, aye, Captain! We can't get enough speed, we've got no dilithium crystals!
- Humans don't have tails. They have big, big bottoms that they wear with bad shorts! They walk around going, "Hi, Helen"!
- (While Crysta is trying to change Zak to normal, she turns him into human renditions of random animals) Ohhh! It's Darwin's grab bag!
- Oh. Gravity works. [falls]
- [upon seeing Zak] Kill it! Restrain it! Medicate it! Something! [takes deep breaths] Puff up! Puff up! They hate that!
- First of all, all these trees go. Then come your highways, then your parking lots, your convenience stores, and then-- (Zak shorts out his antenna) Price check on prune juice, Bob. Price check on prune juice.
- (pointing to his wires0 Do you think nature did this? Do you think I put this in to get better reception? NO, HUMANS did this. Let's stay here, it's nice here. Hey, you got a great set of wings, let's just flutter for a while.
- Bless your eyes with magic light, I give the gift of fairy sight!
- Dad, this is Zack. He's a 'bodacious babe'.
- What was done, now undo, return you to the form... that's true. (whispers) Good-bye Zak.
- But trees give life. They make the clouds, the water, the air.
- Just imagine. Humans back in Ferngully.
- Can't you feel its pain?
- There are worlds within worlds, Crysta. Everything in our world is connected by the delicate strands of the web of life, which is a balance between the forces of destruction and the magical forces of creation.
- (to Crysta) Help it grow.
- All the magic of creation exists within a single, tiny seed.
- Hexxus: [Over intercom] New orders, boys. You're going to FernGully. And I want you there by morning.
- Tony: By morning? Oh, I don't know if we can do that.
- Hexxus: You'll just have to work harder, then... Double shift... No breaks...
- Tony: No breaks?!
- Hexxus: And make sure ya got plenty of oil!
- Tony: (smirking) Roger that. We'll give it a gas!
- Ralph: Hey Tony, you know what this means?
- Tony: Yeah, (activates tree leveler) boo koo overtime!
- (Zak is trying to convince Batty to turn back)
- Batty Koda: What're you, crazy?! That's lemming talk!
- Zak: (hits Batty's antenna) Wrong channel.
- Batty Koda: (in English accent) Hail, Caesar, emperor of Rome!
- Zak: Wrong channel.
- Batty Koda: (imitates John Wayne) Well all right, Gummy! We're goin' to war!
- (a Goanna has caught Zak and is about to eat him)
- Crysta: No! You can't eat him! He's a human!
- Goanna: Uh... what's a human?
- Batty Koda: Delicious and nutritious. Tastes just like chicken!
- Crysta: Wait! He's my friend!
- Goanna: Well, any friend of a fairy...[spits out Zak]...is a friend of mine.
- Crysta: Thanks a lot.
- Goanna: Oh, man, you owe me a free dinner after this one.
- Crysta: We'd better buzz off. It's getting late.
- Zak: Buzz off?! I'm not buzzing anywhere! Now unshrink me, and I mean now!
- Crysta: Well, I guess I could take a bash at it.
- Zak: "Take a bash"?!
- Crysta: Actually, I'm just sort of learning.
- Zak: Great, I've been shrunk by an amateur! I don't believe this. Okay, okay, come on! Bash away!
- Ralph: Are you sure the Leveler can handle this baby?
- Tony: Sure, the Leveler eats anything.
- Ralph: Yeah...kinda like you.
- Tony: How many times a day I gotta threaten your life?
- Crysta: What are the trees like where you live?
- Zak: Not like this. I live in a city.
- Crysta: Ci-dy?
- Zak: Yeah, you know...buildings, traffic, cars, lights - a city. Most humans live in cities. There's not many trees there.
- Crysta: But how can you live without trees?
- Zak: Easy.
- Crysta: Well, trees give life. They make the clouds, the rain, the air.
- Zak: We've got air.
- Batty Koda: Yeah, if you don't mind getting all your minerals in one breath. (coughs loudly)
- Zak: So, Crysta, what do fairies do, anyway?
- Crysta: Do?
- Zak: Yeah. Do you have jobs or anything?
- Crysta: What's a job?
- Zak: I guess that answers that question. Look, what do you do all day?
- Crysta: Help things grow.
- Zak: Oh, yeah? That sounds cool.
- Crysta: No, usually it's warm.
- Zak: No, cool means hot.
- Crysta: What?
- Zak: You know - bodacious, bad, tubular...
- Batty Koda: Awesome use of the language, dude.
- Zak: As in, you are one bodacious babe.
- Crysta: And that's good... I mean, cool?
- Zak: Yeah! We're communicating now.
- Crysta: Tubular.
- Batty Koda: Nobody cares about me.
- Zak: I do, bat man.
- Batty Koda: Are you sure?
- Zak: I'm positive.
- Batty Koda: Only fools are positive.
- Zak: Are you sure?
- Batty Koda: I'm positive-- I fell for it! I should have known!
- Tim Curry - Hexxus
- Robin Williams - Batty Koda
- Samantha Mathis - Crysta
- Christian Slater - Pips
- Jonathan Ward - Zak
- Grace Zabriskie - Magi Lune