The most important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them.Sir William Bragg
- Flash, I love you! But we only have fourteen hours to save the Earth!
- Keeping our word is one of the things that make us better than you.
The Emperor Ming
- I'd much rather see you on my side, than scattered into... atoms.
- Pathetic earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here. If you had known anything about the true nature of the universe, anything at all, you would've hidden from it in terror.
- Are your men on the right pills? [to Klytus, as Flash successfully battles palace guards]
- [from the trailer] Pathetic earthlings... who can save you now?
- Open fire. All weapons. Dispatch war rocket Ajax to bring back his body.
- We're going to empty your memory as we might empty your pockets... Doctor.
- I do not lead traitors to the imperial presence.
- [to Flash] Where you go, I follow. [then to all] Listen to me! Listen! There is something finer in this galaxy than Ming's law!
- Tell me more about this man Houdini. [to Zarkov, while blindfolded and manacled to a dungeon wall]
- [brandishing a laser rifle at some techincians] FREEZE! Deactivate the lightning field!
- We owe everything to Flash!
- You know Ming's law, Barin. Outside his own kingdom, the hunter becomes the hunted.
- Gordon's alive?! [on learning that Flash survived the Imperial assault]
- That must be one hell of a planet you men come from!
- Squadron 40! DIVE!
- Ah, well. Who wants to live forever?
Banner being flown before Ming's marriage to Dale
- "All beings shall make merry" ~ First banner
- "Under pain of Death" ~ Second banner
- Dr. Hans Zarkov: We are only interested in friendship. Why do you attack us?
- The Emperor Ming: Why not?
- The Emperor Ming: Every thousand years, I test each life system in the Universe. I visit it with mysteries, earthquakes, unpredicted eclipses, strange craters in the wilderness... If these are taken as natural, I judge that system ignorant and harmless - I spare it. But if the Hand of Ming is recognized in these events, I judge that system dangerous to us. I call upon the great god Dyzan, and for his greater glory... [leans forward, smiling] and for our mutual pleasure... [leans back again] I destroy it utterly.
- Dr. Hans Zarkov: You're saying... it's my fault the Earth is being destroyed?
- The Emperor Ming: [grinning] Precisely... Doctor!
- The Emperor Ming: Klytus, I'm bored. What plaything can you offer me today?
- Klytus: An obscure body in the S-K system, Your Majesty. The inhabitants refer to it as the planet... "Earth".
- The Emperor Ming: How peaceful it looks.
- [He activates a console, and watches as earthquakes, floods, etc., start to occur. They both get a good laugh out of it.]
- Klytus: Most effective, Your Majesty. Will you destroy this, uh, "Earth?"
- The Emperor Ming: Later. I like to play with things a while... before annihilation.
- Flash Gordon: This isn't happening, Dale. We're not here. It's just a bad dream.
- Dale Arden: Oh, I agree completely. We'll wake up every minute in Dark Harbor and have a laugh about this.
- Flash Gordon: Only this time I won't just ask the maitre d' your name. I'll walk over and talk to you.
- Dale Arden: You promise?
- Flash Gordon: I promise. Cross my heart and hope to...
- Colonel of Battle Control Room: General Kala! Flash Gordon approaching!
- Kala: What do you mean, "Flash Gordon approaching"?
- Colonel of Battle Control Room: On a Hawkman rocket-cycle. Shall I inform His Majesty?
- Kala: Imbecile! The Emperor would shoot you for interrupting his wedding with this news! Fire when Gordon's in range!
- Zogi, the High Priest: Do you, Ming the Merciless, Ruler of the Universe, take this Earthling Dale Arden, to be your Empress of the Hour?
- The Emperor Ming: Of the hour, yes.
- Zogi, the High Priest: Do you promise to use her as you will?
- The Emperor Ming: Certainly!
- Zogi, the High Priest: Not to blast her into space?
- [Ming glares at Zogi]
- Zogi, the High Priest: Uh, until such time as you grow weary of her.
- The Emperor Ming: I do.
- Dale Arden: I do NOT!
- He'll save every one of us!
- Pathetic Earthlings... Who Can Save You Now?
- Sam J. Jones — Flash Gordon
- Melody Anderson — Dale Arden
- Max von Sydow — The Emperor Ming
- Topol - Dr. Hans Zarkov
- Ornella Muti - Princess Aura
- Timothy Dalton - Prince Barin
- Brian Blessed - Prince Vultan
- Peter Wyngarde - Klytus
- Mariangela Melato - Kala
The Orb sampled "An Obscure planet in the SK system.. How peaceful it looks" - in The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld - Earth Orbit 2 (Gaia)