The magic of first love is our ignorance that it can never end.Benjamin Disraeli
Fools are those who have the quality or condition of being stupid, or lacking intelligence, as opposed to being merely ignorant or uneducated.
- The reason why fools and knaves thrive better in the world than wiser and honester men is because they are nearer to the general temper of mankind, which is nothing but a mixture of cheat and folly.
- Prose Observations by Samuel Butler
- Young men think old men are fools; but old men know young men are fools.
- All Fools by George Chapman, 1605
- Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread. ~ Alexander Pope in "An Essay on Criticism" (1711)
- Now and then there's a fool such as I am over you
You taught me how to love
And now you say that we are through
I'm a fool, but I'll love you dear
Until the day I die
Now and then there's a fool such as I.
- Bill Trader, lyrics for "(Now & Then There's) A Fool Such as I"
- Who is the greater fool, the fool or the fool who follows him.
- Obi-Wan Kenobi to Han Solo, Star Wars.
- A young man sees a terribly venomous snake in his small village. Nervous, he watches the snake carefully until it leaves.The young man follows the snake into the forest. He clears the branches out of its path and helps it over obstacles. He even works to keep it fed. Many nights pass and still the young man continues to follow the snake. He even follows it into the sands of the great desert.In the desert, the snake eventually grows hungry. It turns and bites the young man, its poison quickly working its way into his system. Finally curious, the snake looks at the boy as he lays dying and asks, "Why were you foolish enough to follow me all the way out into the desert?"The boy looks back and replies, "Did I follow you? I thought I was leading you away from everyone else..." And then he died.
- Jolee Bindo to Revan - Star Wars, Knights of the Old Republic
- Fools rush in where angels fear to tread, and the angels are all in heaven, but few of the fools are dead.
- James Thurber, Further Fables For Our Time", p.14.
- A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married.
- A fool and his money are soon parted.
- ...when God provides a beautiful woman, the devil at once retorts with a fool to keep her.
- Drinking makes such fools of people, and people are such fools to begin with, that it's a compounding felony.
- Foolproof systems do not take into account the ingenuity of fools.
- The world is made up for the most part of fools and knaves.
- George Villiers, Second Duke of Buckingham.
- If you want to test a genius, set a fool on him.
- I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
- There's no fool like an old fool—you can't beat experience.
- A prosperous fool is a grievous burden.
- Aeschylus (525-456 BC)