Friendly Persuasion (film)
Friendly Persuasion is the title of a film released in 1956, starring Gary Cooper, Dorothy McGuire and Anthony Perkins.
Memorable quotes regarding violence include:
- "God is love."
- "Are you afraid to fight?"
- "I often ask myself what I would do if I saw my family threatened..my wife and children's lives in danger"
- "They're just humans like us"
- "It's wrong to fight"
- "I wonder what it feels like to die?"
- "This is our home, we'll not leave it"
- "If I'm going down...I'm going down fight'n."
- "Anyone of us would die to protect each other but that's not what thee will be asked no Josh. What thee'll be asked to do ...is to kill"
- "Any man who kills innocent women and children is my enemy..my mortal enemy!"
- "Thou Shalt Not Kill!"
- "I hate fighting...I don't want to die!..I don't know if I could kill anyone if I tried!...but I have to try so long as others have too!"
- "I'm his father not his concious"
- "A man's life ain't worth a hill of beans 'cept he lives up to his own expectations."
- "Come back alive!"
- "Last week you told my son he was going to hell for fighting, this week your telling Jess he's got to fight, if your so eager then get going!"
- "I wish someone would hold out for a better way."
- "Kill a Johnny Reb for me" "Never talk that way about a man's life"
- "He's not very old...I killed him."
- "Thee did what thee had to."