I love fools experiments. I am always making them.Charles Darwin
- How am I supposed to fit in with these guys when you've got me setup as an outsider? You've given me a different set of rules. The answer is, I can't. I mean really, why didn't you just issue me a pink petticoat to wear around the base?
- Suck my dick!
- [quoting "Self-Pity" by D.H. Lawrence] I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A bird will fall frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
- 60% of you will not pass this course! How do I know? Because that is an historical fact! Now for the bad news, I always like to get one quitter on the first day, and until I do, that first day does not end!
- Sergeant Cortes, however brief your stint with this command might be, there are two words you will learn to put together: Team-Mate.
- Lieutenant, seek life elsewhere.
- Remember, there are no bad crews, only bad leaders.
- The ebb and flow of the Atlantic tides, the drift of the continents, the very position of the sun along its ecliptic. THESE are just a FEW of the things I control in my world! Is that clear?
- I'll never live this one down.
- Whoa, whoa, whoa, Mr. Hayes. If a cannibal used a knife and fork, would you call that progress too?
- [on why she started Lt. O'Neil on the SEAL program in the first place] Truthfully, I never expected you to do so damn well! I figured you'd ring out in two weeks, bing bang it's over, and we're popular. In Washington, you don't even need the Ten Commandments when you're popular!
- Welcome to SEAL/C.R.T. selection program. You have volunteered for the most intensive military training known to man. You are all proven operators within the SpecOps communtiy: SEALs, EOD, Army Delta, Marine Force Recon, Naval Intel community, and so on. In spite of your expertise, many of you will not successfully negotiate this program. Those that do, will experience an operational tempo that exceeds that of any other unit within the US arsenal. That is all that is to be said about the special nature of the CRT training program. I now turn you over to my Command Master Chief, John James Urgayle.
- Cortez: Hey, O'Neil! I'd go to war with you any day!
- McCool: [after one trainee mentions that things have changed for the better for African-Americans] Have they? So you see, O'Neil. I know where you're coming from. To them you're just the new nigger on the block, that's all. Maybe you just moved in a little too early.
- Urgayle: Pain is your friend, your ally, it will tell you when you are seriously injured, it will keep you awake and angry, and remind you to finish the job and get the hell home. But you know the best thing about pain?
- Jordan: Don't know!
- Urgayle: It lets you know you're not dead yet!
- DeHaven: Captain, are you in the habit of lettin' reporters traipse around your base, snappin' their fill? These are supposed to be discreet test cases!
- C.O. Salem: Senator, they stand out on a public highway using telephoto lenses. There is nothin' I can do about it, unless you want me to infringe on their civil liberties, which I will be glad to do, if you'll just trim a little fat off the Constitution.
- DeHaven: Did you just mouth off to a senior member of the Senate Arms Committee? I mean, I'll give you points for style, just nothin' for smarts!
- DeHaven: Don't you even think of playing politics with me, little darlin', you'll be up way past your bedtime.
- Jordan: And don't YOU think that I'll sit idly by while anyone smears my good name. Now you get those charges VOIDED, Senator. And you do it today!
- DeHaven: [tauntingly] Or what?
- Jordan: You like pissed off? Watch this.
- [storms out]
- Urgayle: I don't know what the hell's been going on in the last 48 hours. And frankly I don't give a shit.
- Jordan: Good to see you too, Master Chief.
- Jordan: You were given the Navy Cross right? May I ask what you got it for?
- Urgayle: Since it bears on this conversation, I got it for pulling a 250-pound man out of a burning tank.
- Jordan: So stopping to save a man makes you a hero, but if a man stops to help a woman, he's gone soft?
- Urgayle: Could you have pulled that man clear? Lieutenant, you couldn't even haul your own body weight out of the water today.
- Jordan: I think you've resented me from the start, sir.
- C.O. Salem: What I resent, Lieutenant, is some politician using my base as a test tube for her grand social experiment. What I resent, is the sensitivity training that is now mandatory for all of my men. The ob-gyn I now have to keep on staff just to keep track of your personal pap smears. But most of all what I resent, is your perfume, however subtle, interfering with the scent of my fine three-dollar-and-seventy-nine-cent cigar, which I will put out this instant if the phallic nature of it happens to offend your GODDAMN FRAGILE SENSIBILITIES! Does it?
- Jordan: No, sir.
- C.O. Salem: "No, sir" WHAT?
- Jordan: The shape doesn't bother me. Just the goddamn sweet stench.
- Blondell: Lieutenant, why are you doing this?
- Jordan: Do you ask the men the same question?
- Blondell: As a matter of fact: yes, I do ask them.
- Jordan: And what do they say?
- Blondell: "Cause I get to blow shit up."
- Jordan: Well, there you go.
- C.O. Salem: [after Jordan demands that he remove the dual standard] One standard.
- Jordan: Just treat me the same. No better, no worse.
- C.O. Salem: You're gonna get everything you want, O'Neil. I just wonder if you want what you're gonna get.
- Jordan: Hoo-yah, sir.
- Urgayle: Is there anything *else* we can do for your celebrity career, Lieutenant?
- Jordan: That will be all...
- Slovnik: Lemme get this straight. Now we're *sharing the same fucking head*!
- Jordan: Listen, you moron! I am here to stay and if you don't wanna be in my life, you've got two choices. Move out or Ring out! That's it! End of File!
- Wickwire: [to Slovnik] I say you've got less than one minute to get your fucking clothes on!
- Cortez: You know O'Neil, I like you better when you drink.
- Jordan: You know Cortez, I like you better when I drink.
- Demi Moore - Lt. Jordan O'Neil
- Viggo Mortensen - Master Chief John James Urgayle
- Anne Bancroft - Sen. Lillian DeHaven