Life is an end in itself, and the only question as to whether it is worth living is whether you have had enough of it.Oliver Wendel Holmes Jr.
Quotes about/related to Gambling
- "Capitalism is the joy of gambling."
- "[Gambling] is a way of throwing money down the toilet without people calling you insane."
- "[Gambling] is the sure way of getting nothing for something." ~ Wilson Mizner
- "The gambling known as business looks with austere disfavor upon the business known as gambling." ~ Ambrose Bierce
- "The lottery: a tax on people who flunked math." ~ Monique Lloyd
- "The lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math" ~ A bumper sticker
- There is nothing that wears out a fine face like the vigils of the card-table, and those cutting passions which naturally attend them. Hollow eyes, haggard looks and pale complexions are the natural indications.
- Games of chance are traps to catch school boy novices and gaping country squires, who begin with a guinea and end with a mortgage.
- All gaming, since it implies a desire to profit at the expense of another, involves a breach of the tenth commandment.
- There is but one good throw upon the dice, which is, to throw them away.
- I look upon every man as a suicide from the moment he takes the dice-box desperately in his hand; and all that follows in his fatal career from that time is only sharpening the dagger before he strikes it to his heart.
- It is the child of avarice, the brother of iniquity and the father of mischief.
- The only man who makes money following the races is one who does it with a broom and shovel.
- A game of chance is a million to one.