Gargoyles (1994-1996) was a Disney animated television series.
- 1 Goliath's narration during opening credits:
- 2 Season 1
- 3 Season 2
- 3.1 Leader of the Pack
- 3.2 Metamorphosis
- 3.3 A Lighthouse in the Sea of Time
- 3.4 The Mirror
- 3.5 Eye of the Beholder
- 3.6 City of Stone
- 3.7 High Noon
- 3.8 Vows
- 3.9 Double Jeopardy
- 3.10 Outfoxed
- 3.11 Upgrade
- 3.12 The Cage
- 3.13 The Price
- 3.14 Avalon
- 3.15 Kindgom
- 3.16 Monsters
- 3.17 M.I.A.
- 3.18 Grief
- 3.19 Eye of the Storm
- 3.20 Sentinel
- 3.21 Cloud Fathers
- 3.22 Ill Met by Moonlight
- 3.23 Future Tense
- 3.24 The Gathering
- 3.25 The Reckoning
- 3.26 Possession
- 3.27 Hunter's Moon
- 4 Season 3 (The Goliath Chronicles)
- 5 Quotes about Gargoyles
- 6 External links
Goliath's narration during opening credits:
One thousand years ago, superstition and the sword ruled.
It was a time of darkness. It was a world of fear.
It was the age of gargoyles.
Stone by day, warriors by night, we were betrayed by the humans we had sworn to protect, frozen in stone by a magic spell for a thousand years.
Now, here in Manhattan, the spell is broken, and we live again!
We are defenders of the night!
We are GARGOYLES!
- Viking: Attacking a castle full of gargoyles near nightfall... This is crazy, and Hakon knows it.
- Hakon: No, my friend. That's not crazy. Questioning my sanity when I'm in earshot - that's crazy.
- Tom: I'm Tom. What's your name?
- Olive-green gargoyle (Lexington): Except for Goliath, we don't have names.
- Tom: How do you tell each other apart?
- Olive-green gargoyle (Lexington): We look different.
- Tom: But what do you call each other?
- Red gargoyle (Brooklyn): "Friend".
- Goliath: It is the nature of humankind to fear what they do not understand. Their ways are not our ways.
- [Goliath finds only broken stone remains on the pedestal where his mate sleeps.]
- Goliath: My... angel of the night...
- Hakon: Magic spells? Ha! Makes me glad I can't read.
- Goliath: I've been denied everything... even my revenge!
- David Xanatos: Pay a man enough, and he'll walk barefoot into Hell.
- [Xanatos has reconstructed Castle Wyvern atop his Manhattan skyscraper, the Eyrie Building, and released the gargoyles from their stone sleep.]
- Goliath: Why have you done all this?
- David Xanatos: I was fascinated by the Magus' story. I wanted to see if it was true, and now that I know it is, I want to be your friend. There is much we can do for each other, Goliath.
- [The castle is attacked by a commando unit.]
- Olive-green gargoyle (Lexington): [to a commando] Are you a viking?
- David Xanatos: Thank you. Without you and your friends, who knows what those thugs would've done.
- Goliath: Someone I once trusted said the same thing to me. And then destroyed my people.
- Goliath: Why were you attacked?
- David Xanatos: The richer you are, the more enemies you have. And I'm very rich.
- Elisa Maza: "Repelled an invasion"? You're a private citizen, Xanatos, not a country.
- David Xanatos: Detective, I am the owner of a multi-national corporation, which is bigger than many countries you could name.
- Elisa Maza: Your kind? You mean there's more than one of you?
- Goliath: Barely.
- Goliath: Now, once again, what are you doing here? Please... try not to fall off the building this time.
- Gargoyle elder (Hudson): What exactly does a "detective" do, lass?
- Elisa Maza: Well, when somebody does something wrong, I find out who and arrest them.
- Goliath: Who says what's wrong?
- Elisa Maza: Well, we have a justice system. Laws, penalties, assessments. But the people decide.
- Goliath: You mean the humans decide.
- Elisa Maza: A good detective trusts no one.
- Goliath: That's one thing we have in common.
- [Xanatos shows Goliath a video recording on a television.]
- Goliath: Amazing. It's like a... a living tapestry.
- David Xanatos: Your naivete is refreshing, Goliath.
- Gargoyle elder (Hudson): Must you humans name everything? Nothing's real to you 'til you've named it, given it limits.
- Elisa Maza: It's not like that. It's just that, well... uh... things need names.
- Gargoyle elder (Hudson): Does the sky need a name? Does the river?
- Elisa Maza: The river's called the Hudson.
- Hudson: Fine, lass. Then I will be the Hudson as well.
- Goliath: She wanted me to destroy humanity. I think I'll start with you.
- David Xanatos: Go ahead. Without me, you'd all still be gathering moss.
Thrill of the Hunt
- Lexington: We can't hide from the whole world up here. There are kindred spirits out there for us, but we've gotta look for them, and we've gotta give them a chance, or else we'll always be alone.
- [As Lexington and Goliath are pursued by the Pack]
- Lexington: They're nothing but animals!
- Goliath: Worse than that. An animal hunts because it's hungry. These hunters do it for sport.
- Lexington: I'm never trusting anyone again!!
- Demona: Don't be afraid. I just want to talk.
- Brooklyn: Uh huh? Yeah, last time we met you just wanted to blow me away with a bazooka.
- Goliath: Demona? So you did survive.
- Demona: I always survive.
- Brooklyn: Any species that has you for a member can't be all bad.
- Elisa Maza: Thanks... I think.
- Hudson: Movies, television, video games... these days, it's hard to tell what's real and what's not.
- Broadway: (taking a gun from a crook) What's this? A new kind of gun? A NEW WAY TO KILL PEOPLE?!
- Brooklyn: Who is this Macbeth, anyway?
- Lexington: The name sounds familiar- Wait, I remember: Goliath was talking about a play called Macbeth, by some new writer named Shakespeare.
- Brooklyn: Ever read it?
- Lexington: No.
- Brooklyn: Maybe we should.
- Macbeth: It's not you I'm after. You're just a pawn. I want your queen.
- Goliath: Queen? We have no queen!
- Macbeth: No? What about... Demona?
- Goliath: You know Demona?
- Macbeth: Know her? [chuckles] I named her!
- Macbeth: [about Demona] If I capture you, the last of your kind, she will come to free you. It's her I want.
- Goliath: [laughs] Then you are a fool! She is our enemy. She wouldn't lift a talon to save us.
- David Xanatos: I have the Eye of Odin back in my private collection and the city owes me a favor for donating it. I successfully tested this prototype battle exo-frame. And the most important thing: I was a little worried that I might be getting soft. But I was able to stand up against Goliath, the greatest warrior alive. I'd say I've still got the edge.
Long Way To Morning
- [Goliath is wounded as he and Hudson flee from Demona.]
- Goliath: [Weakly] You can't... face her.
- Hudson: I can face her. I just can't beat her.
Her Brother's Keeper
- Broadway: If cops were meant to fly, they'd have wings.
- [The Gargoyles try to fly a Helicopter.]
- Broadway: You sure you can fly this?
- Lexington: Hey, it's just like that simulator game back at the tower.
- Brooklyn: Famous last words.
- Broadway: Feel the air currents. Use them, just like you do with your wings.
- Brooklyn: Yeah, use the force, Lex.
- Lexington: Don't worry. I'll tell you what has to be done.
- Brooklyn: Oh, yeah? You and what Starfleet?
- [Xanatos and Demona are creating Coldstone]
- David Xanatos: If this works, it'll be a miracle.
- Demona: None of your plans have worked. The Pack, the Steel Clan robots - all have proven useless.
- David Xanatos: Your stolen spells haven't done any better.
- Demona: Neither science nor sorcery have defeated Goliath. Perhaps a combination of the two will be more effective...
- [Coldstone awakens, in the style of Frankenstein's monster.]
- David Xanatos: IT'S ALIVE, ALIVE! .... I've always wanted to say that.
- [Broadway and Lexington are in a movie theatre while Coldstone and Goliath fight outside.]
- Broadway: Boy, that Surround Sound sure is great.
- Lexington: I don't remember any explosions in "Bambi".
- Coldstone: You said that destroying my brother is the only way to survive. Is that all there is for us, mere survival?
- Demona: Isn't that enough?
- Goliath: No. Gargoyles protect. It is our nature. Our purpose. To lose that is to be corrupt. Empty. Lifeless.
Leader of the Pack
- [Fox reads a book on Sartre while Hyena shoots cockroaches with a catapult.]
- Hyena: Why do you read that stuff?
- Fox: Because Nietzsche's too butch and Kafka reminds me of your little friends over there.
- Hyena: I like a man who brings me weapons.
- [About Sevarius acting through all the events]
- Anton Sevarius: I was particularly proud of my death scene.
- David Xanatos: Frankly, Sevarius, I thought you overplayed the part.
A Lighthouse in the Sea of Time
- Broadway: Why stare at marks on a page when you can rent the video?
- Lexington: They aren't marks when you know how to read.
- Broadway: Well I can't read and I don't think I'm missing anything.
- Brooklyn: Uh huh. Ignorance is bliss. Right, Hudson?
- Hudson: Ughh, leave me out of this, it's time for Celebrity Hockey.
- Broadway: Who was this Merlin? Just another stupid magician.
- Macbeth: He was singular spectacle. A bearded old man who took a ragged boy and with magic and wisdom turned him into the greatest king this world will ever see. A king that ruled with justice and compassion and took the torn remanants of warring tribes and knit them into a country of beauty and civilisation, with Merlin always by his side until it fell. Merlin's magic was stronger than everything except the human heart.
- Broadway: You were there.
- Macbeth: Ha ha! I'm old but I'm not that old. Obviously I read about it.
- Broadway: But you describe it as if you were there.
- [About the telephone book.]
- Jeffrey Robbins: Maybe this will help. Macadu... Macbride... Macduff, Cameron... Macduff, Leland... Macduff, Lennox. And here's an address, just like that.
- Hudson: Hmm! Magic book.
- Jeffrey Robbins: Aren't they all?
- [When Goliath threatens to destroy the scrolls]
- Macbeth: Go ahead. They're worthless. No magic at all.
- Broadway: No, they are magic! But you can't burn them Goliath! It's Merlin's life, in his own words! When you read it, they take you there. It is magic, Goliath. Precious magic.
- Jeffrey Robbins:The written word is all that stands between memory, and oblivion. Without books as our anchors, we are cast adrift neither teaching, nor learning. They are windows on the past, mirrors on the present and prisms reflecting all possible futures. Books, are lighthouses erected in the dark sea of time
- [Elisa ponders the importance of the mirror.]
- Hudson: It's not just a mirror; its Titania's Mirror. Titania, Queen of the third race.
- Elisa Maza: The third race?
- Broadway: You know: gargoyles, humans, and Oberon's Children.
- Lexington: I thought everybody knew this.
- Brooklyn: Yeah, that guy Shakespeare wrote a play about them: A Midsummer Night's Dream.
- Goliath: Scotsmen called them the fair folk. The vikings called them dark elves. They are changelings, shapeshifters, creatures of pure magic and their possessions, like the mirror, are vessels of great power.
- Elisa Maza: Wait, wait, wait. Shapeshifters? Elves? Fairies? You mean they're real?
- Hudson: As real as I am, if the stories be true.
- Demona: You served the human. Now you can serve me.
- Puck: Serving humans is fun. They have a sense of humor. You have none.
- Demona: Perhaps not, but I have you.
- Demona: I'm too vulnerable during the day. I don't want to turn to stone anymore.
- Puck: Of course, you want to stroll down Fifth Avenue in the sunshine. I'm sure you'll fit right in.
- Domona: I could if there were no blasted humans!... Yes, Puck... I want you to get rid of the humans. All of them!
- Puck: [leaning against the mirror] Does this look like Aladdin's lamp? I have limits, after all.
- Puck: Did you say "that human" or "that human"? Oh, never mind, I'll figure it out. This just might be fun after all.
- [Puck's magic turns Elisa into a gargoyle.]
- Elisa Maza: Goliath, this is wonderful! You've been changed into a gargoyle!
- Demona: What have you done?
- Puck: The human Elisa Maza is no more.
- Demona: Then let's do the same to everyone in the city.
- Puck: You don't know what you're asking. BELIEVE me.
- [Goliath and the gargoyle Elisa are gliding.]
- Goliath: I never realised when you were human how beautiful you are.
- Elisa Maza: [teasing] You mean you thought I was ugly?
- Goliath: [flustered] Well, uh- [changes the subject] Careful, updraft!
- Elisa Maza: Why haven't I done this before?
- Goliath: You couldn't; you were human. Look.
- [She looks at a crowd of people on the street.]
- Elisa: Oh no! Look at them!
- Goliath: Maybe we should land somewhere and talk.
- Elisa: Did you see? Everyone in Manhattan has been turned into a... a human!
- Goliath: No, no, no.
- [Goliath covers his eyes in disbelief.]
- [As three female humans-turned-gargoyle pass by them.]
- Lexington: It's too weird. Kinda fun... but weird.
- Goliath: With Demona involved, it's more than weird... it's dangerous.
- [Puck is convinced to reverse what he has done.]
- Puck: First the humans I'll attend. Then the gargoyles will I mend. If his efforts you commend, free Puck - let him homeward wend.
- [Goliath and Elisa talk just before dawn.]
- Goliath: Elisa I...
- Elisa: Yeah, I know, you're as relieved I am that everything's back to normal.
- Goliath: That's not what I was going to say--
- [He turns to stone.]
- Elisa: I know. But that's the way it is.
Eye of the Beholder
- [Goliath and Elisa help Xanatos' fiancee, Fox, while Xanatos himself holds a powerful magic talisman called the Eye of Odin.]
- Goliath: Give me the Eye of Odin.
- David Xanatos: A trade?
- Goliath: Let's just say... I don't trust you with it.
- David Xanatos: So, now you know my weakness.
- Goliath: Only you would regard love as a weakness.
City of Stone
- [In a parallel of a scene from Shakespeare's Macbeth, King Duncan and Macbeth, with their sons Canmore and Luach, encounter the Weird Sisters on a moor.]
- Phoebe: Double, double, toil and trouble. Fire burn and cauldron bubble.
- Seline: All hail Duncun, King of Scotland and father of the king hereafter!
- Phoebe:All hail Macbeth, King of Scotland and father of the king hereafter!
- Duncan: You speak treason, you old crone!
- Macbeth: You are but half right, good mothers. Duncan is the true and proper king.
- Luna: King now, he is, but each of you shall in turn be king.
- Macbeth: I say ye nay weird sisters. Prince Canmore is destined to be king after Duncan.
- Luna:You would lecture us on fate?
- Goliath: What is Elisa doing here?
- Brooklyn: She doesn't look too happy.
- David Xanatos: Owen sometimes has that effect on people
- Macbeth: Revenge is a dish best served cold, Demona, and I have waited nine hundred years for this meal.
- Goliath: No! Killing her won't solve anything! Death never does.
- Luna: He's right, Macbeth. Duncan was afraid that your father would make you king. Did your father's death stop you from becoming king?
- Macbeth: No!
- Selene: You wanted revenge for your father. Did Gillecomgain's death settle that score?
- Macbeth: No.
- Phoebe: Did your own death save your son Lulach from Canmore?
- Macbeth: No...
- Goliath: Death is never the answer. Life is.
- Macbeth: I'm just so tired...
- Phoebe: Then sleep, Macbeth.
- Demona: I will have vengeance for the betrayal of my clan. Vengeance for my pain.
- Selene: But who betrayed your clan?
- Luna: And who caused this pain?
- Demona: The Vikings destroyed my clan!
- Selene: Who betrayed the castle to the Vikings?
- Demona: The Hunter hunted us down!
- Phoebe: Who created the Hunter?
- Demona: Canmore destroyed the last of us.
- Luna: Who betrayed Macbeth to Canmore?
- Goliath: Your thirst for vengeance has only created more sorrow. End the cycle, Demona. Give us the code.
- Demona: [shedding a tear after the Weird Sisters' interrogation] The access code is... "alone".
- David Xanatos: I sometimes wonder why I let you creatures live. Now I know: You come in handy now and then.
- Goliath: As do you. Occasionally.
- [Inside Coldstone's mind, Othello gives Desdemona a flower.]
- Desdemona: Oh how wonderful! I thought the season for heather had passed. [She smells it.] Alas it has no scent. Like everything here it is not real.
- Elisa: I'm no hero, I just do my job and my job for tonight is over. All I want to do is hit the sack.
- Hudson: Why would you want to hit a sack?
- Brooklyn: Oh, she means she's tired and wants to sleep.
- Hudson: Then why didn't she just say so?
- [Demona turns into a human in front of Macbeth, and he feels her pain.]
- Macbeth: Is it supposed to hurt that much? I thought you said the changeling Puck turns you into a human during the day as a gift.
- Demona: Puck's gifts always come with a price. My only consolation is that our magical link allows you to suffer as well.
- [Broadway reaches Macbeth's library.]
- Broadway: Look at all these books!
- Macbeth: And I know how to read them.
- Morgan: You're looking a bit frayed around the edges, girl. You sleeping?
- Elisa: Only a few hours in the last forty.
- Morgan: Well, shift's over. Climb into bed and pull it in after you.
- Elisa: You don't know how much I'd like to, and when I woke up it would be all over for me. No more monsters good or bad, just normal life.
- Morgan: Normal life would be nice.
- Elisa: For a while... but they need me.
- Morgan: Isn't that why you put on the badge?
- Elisa: Yeah that's exactly why. Thanks, Morgan, you've been a big help.
- Desdemona: Is this right? To do nothing is not the gargoyle way.
- Othello: We are no longer gargoyles. We are... shadows.
- Weird Sisters: [in the form of Desdemona] Even shadows must be true to their shade.
- [Demona (in human form) and Elisa fight in the park.]
- Iago/Coldstone: This is diverting.
- Macbeth: You don't know the half of it.
- Demona: Because I did it your way, Elisa and the gargoyles are still alive.
- Macbeth: Destroying them was never our primary objective.
- Demona: We lost Coldstone. What primary objective?
- Macbeth: These magical talismans. If we'd stolen them alone Goliath wouldn't have rested until he got them back.
- [The screen scans over the Grimorum Arcanorum, Eye of Odin and Phoenix Gate.]
- Macbeth: This way it will be weeks until he notices they're gone.
- Demona: Yes... I used a spell from the Grimorum Arcanorum to shield us from prying eyes at the clock tower and at the park. But why did we steal these things? And how did we even know where to find them?
- Macbeth: For that matter... why are we even working together?!
- [Demona and Macbeth prepare to attack each other, but freeze in place as the Weird Sisters arrive.]
- Selene: It seems we arrived just in time, my sisters. The spell we placed on these two is about to wear off.
- Luna: You can only compel a person to act against their nature for so long.
- Selene: Was it wise to release Coldstone?
- Phoebe: Perhaps we could have found a way to put a spell on him as well.
- [The Weird Sisters pick up the three talismans.]
- Luna: We do not need Coldstone. These will do quite nicely in the coming battle.
- [Goliath and Xanatos fight on a rooftop.]
- David Xanatos: It's so unlike you to attack first. I simply invited you to talk.
- Goliath: Our previous encounters have not encouraged me to trust you.
- David Xanatos: If you say so. Fox and I are getting married tomorrow night. I want you to be the best man.
- Goliath: You cannot be serious.
- [Judge Roebling is performing Xanatos and Fox's wedding ceremony.]
- Judge Roebling: We are gathered here today to join David Xanatos and... uh.. what is your real name?
- Fox: Fox is my real name. Legally.
- [About the medieval coin that launched Xanatos' fortune.]
- Petros Xanatos: An anonymous stranger sends you a museum piece worth a fortune. All of this came from that. You didn't earn any of it, boy.
- David Xanatos: Some day I'll prove to you I'm a self-made man.
- Petros Xanatos: What are you hatching now?
- David Xanatos: That envelope contains my personal instructions for the Illuminati Society, plus two smaller sealed envelopes. The Society is to wait one thousand years, and then deliver the first envelope to a young David Xanatos of Bar Harbor, Maine. That envelope contains one of the coins Prince Malcolm gave me earlier. It's practically worthless now in 975 AD, but by 1975, it will be worth about... twenty grand. The second envelope is to be delivered twenty years after the first. It contains a detailed account of how the coin was obtained. That's how I knew how to set this all up: I received instructions from myself last week. So you see, Pop, I am, indeed, a self-made man.
- Goliath: If I didn't fear the damage you would do to the time stream, I'd gladly leave you here.
- David Xanatos: But you won't. Because you didn't. Time travel's funny that way.
- [Petros gives his son David a small coin.]
- David Xanatos: What's this?
- Petros Xanatos: A simple American penny. It's not worth much now, but in a thousand years... who knows? It's my wedding present to you. Because it's all you seem to care about.
- Lexington: You should've heard him laugh. Made my hair stand on end, if I had any.
- Goliath: Surely you know I am not in the habit of playing childish pranks or laughing maniacally in the dark.
- Hudson: Do you even know how to laugh maniacally?
- Anton Sevarius: Typical. You do, and do, and do with them, and then what happens? They twist the knife in ya!
- Thailog: Don't tempt me!
- [After Xanatos realizes that Thailog has faked his own death and made a clean getaway.]
- Owen Burnett: You mean that creature is still out there? It has the money, it's as powerful as Goliath, and it's smarter than you?
- David Xanatos: [again parodying Frankenstein (see "Reawakening", above)] Owen, I think I've created a monster.
- Halcyon Reynard: No excuses, creature. Learn to take responsibility for your own actions. And stop whining!
- Goliath: A gargoyle doesn't whine. He roars!
- Dingo: What a choice: A robot who thinks he's a human, or a human who's gone to the dogs.
- Dingo: A sight better than trading in pieces of your own body like used car parts.
- Hyena: What's your problem?
- Dingo: I'm a partner in a freak show.
- Anton Sevarius: [working on a cure for the Mutates] I don't know if this will work. I'm not used to working in such primitive conditions.
- Goliath: Just keep working... before conditions really do get primitive.
- [The Mutates debate on whether Sevarius has created a cure or poison.]
- Maggie: It is the cure! It has to be!
- Anton Sevarius: Of course it's the cure! You must trust me!
- David Xanatos: I think that ship has sailed, doctor.
- [A laser blast knocks Fang away from Sevarius. Everyone turns to see that Xanatos and some Steel Clan robots have them cornered.]
- David Xanatos: You always overplay your hand, Anton.
- [Sevarius moves to the safety of behind the Steel Clan.]
- Talon: [to Xanatos] I don't believe it. Goliath wasn't Sevarius' partner - it was you all along! I trusted you! You turned me into a monster and I defended you--!
- [A laser blast from a Steel Clan robot prevents him from approaching Xanatos.]
- David Xanatos: [to Talon] I'm sorry it had to turn out this way. It would've been more comfortable if you'd remained in the dark, but I can't let you damage Anton. He's a bit of a bother, but his mind contains infinite possibilities. He's the scientist - you're just the experiment.
- Hudson: And what's in it for you?
- Owen Burnett: Service is its own reward. I would have thought you knew that.
- Hudson: Tell me something: Why me?
- Xanatos: Because you're old, and getting older. I thought you might even appreciate the opportunity.
- Hudson: Growing old terrifies you, doesn't it?
- Xanatos: Nothing terrifies me - because nothing is beyond my ability to change.
- Hudson: A friendly word of advice. True immortality isn't about living forever, man: It's about what you do with the time you have. When all your scheming's done, what will be your legacy, Xanatos?
- [After recovering the statue of him Xanatos used as a ruse to fool the Gargoyles, Hudson takes the fragment that bears his face's likeness.]
- Hudson: I think I'll keep this as a souvenir. Not everyone can claim their head after losing it.
- Archmage: There is no help for you under the heavens. I'm insulted you thought otherwise.
- Goliath: Don't be too insulted.
- [The Archmage has brought his past self, the Archmage, to Avalon. The Archmage learns he cannot take the Grimorum onto Avalon.]
- Archmage: You mean we went through all that trouble to get the Grimorum, and now I can't even take it with me?! What am I supposed to do? Eat it?
- Archmage: You are learning.
- Seline: We make no pacts with sorcerers.
- Archmage: Not even if I can promise you revenge against these mortals?
- Phoebe: We are listening.
- Archmage: It will take some time.
- Luna: What is time to an immortal?
- Magus: We lived innocently as children, but like all children we grew up. She [Princess Katharine] began to rely on Tom and not on me. They became as husband and wife and raised the gargoyles as their own children.
- [Elisa and the Magus reach the Hollow Hill.]
- Magus: This is it.
- Elisa Maza: This? I was expecting something... grander.
- Elisa: We needed the best warrior who ever lived. We needed... King Arthur.
- King Arthur: That is all very flattering, but would someone kindly tell me: what is going on?
- Arthur: What manner of magic is this?
- Macbeth: It is your death. Who are you?!
- Arthur: I am Arthur Pendragon!
- Macbeth: King Arthur?
- Arthur: The same!
- Macbeth: Well, I always wanted to see how I'd stand up against the best.
- [The Weird Sisters find the Magus waiting for them at the Hollow Hill.]
- Phoebe: Taking a rest, grandfather? Or have you chosen this place as your grave?
- Princess Katherine: No one threatens my eggs!
- [The Archmage loses control of the rampaging magic of the Grimorum Arcanorum, and it turns him to dust.]
- Archmage: All... my... lovely... magic...
- Elisa: My personal goal is to get back to New York as soon as possible.
- Tom: Elisa, I thought you understood. Avalon doesn't take you where you want to go, Avalon sends you where you need to be.
- Elisa: Wait a minute, what does he mean where we need to be?
- Fang: Take a look at me, Al. Do I look like the kind of guy who can waltz into a store, and PLUNK DOWN CHANGE FOR A PACK OF BUBBLEGUM?!
- Talon: I told you before: everyone is welcome here in the Labyrinth! And the weak are to be protected, not exploited.
- Fang: Aaah, who died and made you king?
- David Xanatos: Don't you just hate it when guests drop by unannounced?
- Owen Burnett: Shall we test the new security system, sir?
- Xanatos: Why not? A little test never hurt anyone.
- Lexington: If you don't know anything, why were you shooting at us?
- Xanatos: Do I really need an excuse to have a good time in my own home?
- Anton Sevarius: Oh, I know, I know. How aggravating it must be to wake up in chains first thing in the evening.
- Anton Sevarius: They say a man's home is his castle, and what fun would a castle be without her dungeon?
- Anton Sevarius: If it gets any more saccharine in there I'm going to put a finger down my throat.
- Goliath: In my experience, human problems become gargoyle problems.
- Hyena: By the way, robo-jock, like the new design. Wanna make sparks fly?
- Coyote 3.0: Later perhaps.
- Coyote 3.0: I don't know how you got here, but I'm programmed to shoot first and ask questions later.
- [Jackal admires Anubis.]
- Jackal: The original model.
- Anubis: Death is always pointless - that is the point. What you ask is unthinkable. Your son has passed. Let him rest. Death comes to us all.
- Emir: I demand reparation! My son was cruelly and unfairly taken from me!
- Anubis: On the contrary, death is the ultimate fairness. Rich and poor, young and old, all are equal in death. You would not like to see the Jackal God play favourites. Think what you are doing: all over the world there is birth, but no death. Our planet cannot support so many lives at once.
- [After Jackal (now Anubis' avatar) destroys Coyote 3.0]
- Wolf: [chuckles] Never did like that robot.
- Hyena: Well, I did! [to Anubis/Jackal] Every time I find a man I can go for, you have to ruin it!
- Anubis/Jackal: [sarcastic] I'm sorry. Did I upset my baby sister?
- [He proceeds to make Hyena and Wolf younger, until they are reduced to a baby and a wolf-pup]
- Anubis/Jackal: Life and death at my command... I like it!
- Emir: No! I was to be the avatar!
- Anubis/Jackal: You know, I think I'll keep you alive, to watch as all life on this planet withers and dies. After I bring the gift of death to this world... maybe I'll reunite you with your son.
- [Goliath muses about the Emir's death.]
- Goliath: If there's any justice in this world and the next, I'd say he's with son, at rest.
Eye of the Storm
- Odin: I apologize for any trouble I caused in my efforts to reclaim it. It seems I'm out of practice dealing directly with mortals.
- Goliath: I owe you an apology as well. It seems I am unaccustomed to dealing with a god.... or being one.
- Elisa Maza: That's some story all right. Gargoyle clans, mutated brothers, magic spells. You threw in everything but King Arthur and the Holy Grail.
- Goliath: Yes, well, we haven't encountered the Holy Grail... yet.
- Peter Maza: Pop, it's 1960 not 1860. You're living in the past. I'm living for the future.
- [Peter, Beth and Elisa Maza apprehend the guard who is a dead ringer for a younger Peter Maza.]
- Beth Maza: Elisa, look at him!
- Elisa Maza: I know, it's amazing!
- Peter Maza: What?
- Beth Maza: Dad, doesn't he look like someone you know?
- Peter Maza: Yeah, all the punks I've busted on the street in the last twenty years.
- [Xanatos and Coyote are holding Angela and Goliath prisoner.]
- Coyote 4.0: This trough is filled with acid. In about ten minutes its going to do a very nasty job on that soil carving, not to mention your rugged good looks.
- David Xanatos: It's my first real stab at clichéd villiany. How am I doing?
- [Xanatos and Coyote 4.0 capture the Kachina Coyote.]
- Kachina Coyote: How are doing this? No machine can hold me!
- David Xanatos: This one can. Ever heard of the Cauldron of Life? It was supposed to grant me immortality but it fell short of my expectations. I couldn't see such a rare find going to waste so I melted it down and used it to reconstruct Coyote. My coyote. The magic inherent in the iron allows him to hold you. Ironic isn't it? One coyote catching another.
- Kachina Coyote: I should sue you for trademark infringement.
- David Xanatos: Consider him a tribute.
- David Xanatos: It's so hard to program good help these days.
- Coyote 4.0: I should warn you, I am programmed for vengeance
- David Xanatos: Goliath. I must say these last-minute upsets you keep handing me are becoming irritating.
Ill Met by Moonlight
- [Goliath, Angela, Bronx and Elisa arrive on Avalon]
- Angela: I'm beginning to think this Manhattan we search for is a myth.
- Goliath: Tell me, Gabriel, has Avalon been peaceful since we last voyaged forth?
- Gabriel: Yes. Peaceful, quiet... truthfully, a small adventure now and then would be nice.
- Angela: Join us on the skiff, my brother, I guarantee you won't be bored.
- Titania: My Lord, you commanded once that the children of Oberon and I should be amongst mortals. That was a thousand years ago as they reckon time.
- Oberon: A thousand and one.
- Titania: So very long... time enough for even Puck to mend his manners.
- Angela: Why? You heard the Queen, Oberon's no stronger than a child now.
- Goliath: As strong as any of Oberon's children, Angela. That's more than enough to give us trouble.
- Titania: In Avalon, Oberon's word is law.
- Katharine: Does that mean he's always right?
- Titania: Not while he's married.
- Goliath: Impossible. Time is like a river, correcting its courses against any change. History cannot be changed.
- [Goliath, apparently in the future, has entered a virtual world.]
- David Xanatos: This isn't a place. It's me. It has been ever since Hudson and I quarrelled.
- [He shows a simulation of past events, including him fighting Hudson, killing him with an electrified sword, and then being killed himself when the sword explodes from an overload.]
- Brooklyn: Your body was destroyed!
- David Xanatos: Sad but true. However, my consciousness and brain patterns were successfully downloaded onto my computer network, granting me the immortality I've always desired.
- Goliath: You're not immortal. You're not even Xanatos. The real Xanatos at his worst would not have done what you've done. You're just an unfeeling machine.
- David Xanatos: Well, this machine is about to take over every computer on the worldwide net, bringing the planet exactly the order it needs: my kind.
- Brooklyn: The world needs your order like it needs another Ice Age!
- [In the same virtual world, Xanatos holds up virtual Goliath's disembodied head.]
- David Xanatos: [parodying Shakespeare's Hamlet] Alas, poor Goliath. I knew him well.
- Goliath: You.... will.... not.... win!!
- David Xanatos: [parodying Monty Python and the Holy Grail] What are you going to do? Bite my kneecaps off?
- Oberon: What are you doing here, my love? Have you forgotten the gathering?
- Titania (as Anastasia Renard): I am gathering even now.
- Oberon: We have discussed this, my dear. It is my law that we do not directly interfere with human affairs. Let the woman keep her child.
- Fox: Keep my child? Mother, who is this guy?
- Oberon: Mother!? (chuckles) Oh, Titania, what have you been up to?
- Titania: (about Alexander) Although the blood line has thinned, he has great potential.
- Xanatos: With his pedigree, of course he does.
- Oberon: I am through playing games, mortal! I will not be denied!
- [Petros Xanatos shoots Oberon with an iron harpoon.]
- Oberon: You hurt me... hurting me was a mistake!
- Puck: The trickster has played many parts over the millenia, but never that of straight man.
- Puck: You hurt him with that one! Do it again!
- Oberon: The humans will awaken in the morning and this will seem naught but a midsummer night's dream.
- Goliath: I know from experience the transforming power of a child's love. The future is not written yet.
- Titania: Until we meet again.
- Oberon: Which for your sakes had better not be soon!
- Preston: We can't take much more of this!
- Halcyon: We'll take what he throws at us and come back for more, if it'll help my grandson!
- [Sevarius has finished growing a set of gargoyle clones for Thailog.]
- Sevarius: Nice doing business with you, Thailog. All you have to do now is decide on their programming. My advice: Keep it simple. We don't want to end up with another... you.
- Thailog: My thoughts exactly.
- Talon: I'm afraid we have mosquitoes down here... and worse.
- Fang: [inside a prison cell] Hey! HEY! I resemble that remark!
- [As Demona and Angela share an emotional moment]
- Fang: [mock crying] I'm moved... deeply!
- Angela: Mind your own business!
- Fang: Man, you chicks are better than soaps!
- [As Thailog frees Demona from her cell, she aims one of his laser cannons at Fang]
- Fang: [nervous] Hey, Demona... I've always respected you as a fellow inmate... Some of my best friends are half-gargoyle, half-human babes with bad attitudes!
- [Demona merely blasts apart the glass containing him]
- Demona: [to Thailog] He's a fool, but he may be useful.
- Fang: ... I can work with that!
- Goliath: [to Demona, about the clones] If you consider these poor creatures your Clan, then you've sunk even lower than I imagined.
- Thailog: Now, now! That's your friends' genetic make-up you're insulting. Still, you're right. They are a bit primitive. I kept their programming simple: "Obey Thailog." It's all they really need to know.
- Thailog: Face it, Golaith. My clan can beat up your clan any day of the week.
- Matt: Had a little help on this operation, huh?
- Elisa: Just some concerned citizens... with wings.
- [after the gargoyles stop a subway robbery]
- Man: Stay away, please, stay back...
- Woman: Don't come near me...
- Brooklyn: We've still got a little P.R. problem...
- Brooklyn: Defenders of the night, stopping evil stone cold.
- Angela: Do you think the thieves will really try to rob this place again?
- Hudson: Thieves always return to the scene of the crime, lass. I learned that from the television.
- Angela: I thought you said I wasn't supposed to believe everything I saw on television...
- Elisa: [seeing the clan awaken] I never get tired of that.
- [Matt Bluestone discusses conspiracy theories with a reporter.]
- Matt Bluestone: Huh, don't believe them. Now UFOs... Do you know that Easter Island statues were modeled after space aliens?
- [The clan discussing Angela's condition after a battle with the hunters.]
- Goliath: They did this to her; those masked hunters. On my daughter's life, I swear I will hunt them down, and I will kill them.
- Goliath: I do not want escape, I want vengeance!
- Demona: Perhaps you can have a little of both.
- Goliath: There's no such thing as "a little" vengeance.
- Demona: At last, you're thinking like a true Gargoyle.
- Brooklyn: And so it begins: "Gargoyles", Chapter 2. Or is it 3? I've lost count.
Season 3 (The Goliath Chronicles)
- [At the first Quarrymen meeting, John Castaway addresses his audience.]
- John Castaway: I know that you are all reasonable people. But you do not live in a reasonable world - violence, racism, injustice, you struggle with the world's problems, and wind up feeling so alone. Now, something alien and horrible has entered your world. [sweeps the veil off of a gargoyle statue] Are you afraid of this monster? Well, for once, you are not alone. [...] Are you afraid these creatures will attack you while you sleep? You are not alone in that fear! Are you afraid they will steal your children away? You are not alone! Do you believe these monsters must be stopped? You are not alone! Join us! Join the Quarrymen! [dons a hood] When you wear our hoods, believe me, you are no longer alone! [...] Take a hood! Take a hammer! You are Quarrymen now! Join us! And I promise, you will never be alone again! [smashes the statue]
Broadway Goes Hollywood
- Broadway: Did they even know I was there? If they want to work with me, why were they insulting me so much?
- Fox: If I knew that I'd own this town.
Jackal: Broadway is about to learn just how cruel this town can really be.
- [Xanatos referring to his wife Fox.]
- Xanatos: Devoted wife, mother, one-woman vigilante squad. What a woman.
The Dying of the Light
- [Blind Jeffrey Robbins admits that he knows Hudson is a gargoyle.]
- Jeffrey Robbins: Hey, it wasn't hard to figure out, Hudson. Late night visits only. Your accent. That smell.
- Hudson: What smell?
- Jeffrey Robbins: Well, you tell me. Sort of like old leather and concrete. Uh, but in a good way!
- Thailog: Dear child, the more one takes, the better his chances.
- Thailog: Please don't scare me. I may start to cry. [He fires a laser gun at all of them.]
- [As Thailog lies dying in Goliath's arms.]
- Thailog: [smiling, perhaps ironically] How I did enjoy causing you grief...
Quotes about Gargoyles
- Keith David, voice of Goliath: In fact, I have never met anyone who didn't like Gargoyles.
- Greg Weisman, creator and producer: I believe, in my opinion Lex is gay -- though he may not yet realize it. And that we would be consistent with that knowledge... as I believe we have been up to this point. But that in the current world climate we would not be addressing it on the show at all. Not explicitly or implicitly. It's a damn shame, and since we're talking about episodes that don't exist it would be easy for me to be brave now and pretend that we'd be open about it, but that would be a lie of expectation, and I try to be more honest than that with the fans. All I promised was consistency. It may sound like a subtle distinction, but believe me it is not. It may also sound like a cop-out, and believe me, IT IS. But it's a cop-out that comes out of the fact that if I even attempted an implicit portrayal, it flat out would not get on the air. And I could stand my ground. And I would get fired. And then there'd be no consistency either. Someday, I hope to live in a braver more understanding world... but we ain't there yet. And I think what we're doing is at least a step in the right direction.