There are chapters in every life which are seldom read and certainly not aloud.Carol Shields
(Redirected from Garland, Judy)
- I was born at the age of twelve on a Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer lot.
- As quoted in The Observer (18 February 1951)
- You are never so alone as when you are ill on stage. The most nightmarish feeling in the world is suddenly to feel like throwing up in front of four thousand people.
- LIFE magazine (2 June 1961)
- I've never looked through a keyhole without finding someone was looking back.
- Interview NBC TV (16 March 1967)
- I'm just an Irish biddy
- Press Confrence, Sidney Australia (13 May 1964) 
- Tell her I'll sing if she christens a ship first...
- Garland's annoyed response to a note from Princess Margaret 'commanding' her to sing at a party in 1965.
- Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.
- To her daughter, Liza Minelli. Variant: Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.
- Behind every gray cloud is another gray cloud.
- For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.
- How strange when an illusion dies. It's as though you've lost a child.
- I can live without money, but I cannot live without love.
- I think there's something peculiar about me that I haven't died. It doesn't make sense but I refuse to die.
- I try to bring the audience's own drama — tears and laughter they know about — to them.
- I'm the original take-orders girl.
- If I'm such a legend, then why am I so lonely? Let me tell you, legends are all very well if you've got somebody around who loves you.
- If you have to be in a soap opera try not to get the worst role.
- In the silence of night I have often wished for just a few words of love from one man, rather than the applause of thousands of people.
- It was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.
- It's lonely and cold on the top... lonely and cold.
- My life, my career has been like a roller coaster. I've either been an enormous success or just a down-and-out failure.
- There have been times when I have deliberately tried to take my life... I think I must have been crying for some attention.
- We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality.
- You shouldn't be told you're completely irresponsible and be left alone with too much medication. It's too easy to forget. You take a couple of sleeping pills and you wake up in twenty minutes and forget you've taken them. So you take a couple more, and the next thing you know you've taken too many.
Quotes of others about Judy Garland
- "I wish you would mention the joy she had for life, that’s what she gave me. It was her love of life that carried her through everything. The middle of the road was never for her — it bored her. She wanted the pinnacle of excitement. If she was happy, she wasn’t just happy, she was ecstatic. And when she was sad, she was sadder then anyone. She lived eight lives in one, and yet I thought she would outlive us all. She was a great star, and a great talent, and for the rest of my life I will be proud to be Judy Garland's daughter. It wasn’t suicide, it wasn’t sleeping pills, it wasn’t cirrhosis. I think she was just tired, like a flower that blooms and gives joy and beauty to the world and then wilts away." ~ Liza Minnelli
- "She was the greatest performer. No one has been her equal." ~ Mickey Rooney
- "We will all be forgotten — but not Judy." ~ Frank Sinatra
- "I really hadn't intended on becoming a professional musician, but that isn't to say that I didn't have the dreams of being Judy Garland." ~ Maura O'Connell, singer 
- "the funniest woman in Hollywood" ~ Lucille Ball 1977
- "I thought she was the most adorable thing ever put on the face of the planet." ~ Ray Bolger
Dorothy Gale quotes
- Dorothy Gale: (reprimanding) Who are you?