It's better to be an authentic loser than a false success, and to die alive than to live dead.William Markiewicz
- Today the Republican Party attracts neither the farmer nor the industrial worker. Why not? To represent the people one must know them. Lincoln did. The Republican Party leadership does not. The greatest praise I can give Lincoln on this his anniversary is to say he would be ashamed of his party's leadership today.
- 1938 radio broadcast from New York City marking Abraham Lincoln's birthday, quoted in Vermont Today, Vermont's Great Moments of the 20th Century
- If we were to wake up some morning and find that everyone was the same race, creed and color, we would find some other cause for prejudice by noon.
- The best policy is to declare victory and get out.
- Discussing the Vietnam war
- True conservation provides for wise use by the general public. The American people do not want our resources preserved for the exclusive use of the wealthy. These land and water resources belong to the people, and people of all income levels should have easy access to them.
- People are people the world over. Some are good, some bad, some greedy and some generous. Nations are like people and act the same way.
- We cannot go back to the days when we graded apples by the number of wormholes, picked potato bugs by hand, and milked by hand in the lantern light.