Those who live are those who fight.Victor Hugo
- You see, I have made a great discovery. I no longer believe in anything. Objects don't exist for me except in so far as a rapport exists between them or between them and myself. When one attains this harmony, one reaches a sort of intellectual non-existence — what I can only describe as a sense of peace, which makes everything possible and right. Life then becomes a perpetual revelation. That is true poetry.
- A good painting never stops giving of itself.
- Art upsets; science reassures.
- Form and colour do not merge, there is simultaneity.
- I believe my picture is only finished when the original idea is completely extinguished.
- I have found painting to be a means of hanging up my ideas. This enables me to change them and avoid any fixed idea.
- If a painting doesn't disquiet, what is it?
- The painting is complete when the idea is obliterated.