Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.William Butler Yeats
- "It's not a question of enough, pal. It's a zero sum game, somebody wins, somebody loses. Money itself isn't lost or made, it's simply transferred from one perception to another."
- "This painting here, I bought it 10 years ago for $60,000, I can sell it today for 600 [$600,000]; the illusion, has become real, and the more real it becomes, the more desperate they want it—capitalism at its finest."
- "Lunch is for wimps."
- "It's all about bucks, kid. The rest is conversation"
- "Money is something you need unless you die tomorrow."
- "If you are not inside you are outside."
- "The main thing about money... it makes you do things you don't wanna do."
- "Money never sleeps, pal."
- "Read Sun-tzu, The Art of War. Every battle is won before it is ever fought."
- "It's all about the bucks, kid. The rest is conversation."
- "And if you need a friend, get a dog."
- "And I'm not talking about some $400,000 dollar a year, working Wall Street stiff, flying first-class, being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet, rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, 100 million dollars, buddy. A player...or nothing."
- "That's the thing about WASPs: they love animals, can't stand people."
- "Just got on the board at the Bronx Zoo, cost me a mil."
- "The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, $5 trillion. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation. It's bullshit. You got 90 percent of the American public out there with little or no net worth. I create nothing. I own."
- "We make the rules, pal. The news, war, peace, famine, upheaval, the price of a paper clip. We pick that rabbit out of a hat while everybody sits around wondering how the hell we did it. Now you’re not naïve enough to think that we’re living in a democracy, are you, buddy? It’s the free market, and you’re part of it."
- "Ever wonder why fund managers can't beat the S&P 500? Because they're sheep, and sheep get slaughtered"
- "The public's out there throwing darts at a board, kid, I don't throw darts at a board; I bet on sure things."
- "You and I are the same, Darian. We are smart enough not to buy into the oldest myth running: love. A fiction created by people to keep them from jumping out of windows."
- "Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms, greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."
- "First lesson in business: Don't get emotional about a stock."