Grease is a 1978 musical film about good girl Sandy and greaser Danny who fell in love over the summer. But when they unexpectedly discover that they are now in the same high school, will they be able to rekindle their romance?
- Directed by Randal Kleiser. Written by Bronte Woodard, based on the musical by Jim Jacobs and Warren Casey.
- Uh, I'm not very hungry; just gimme a double Polar Burger wit' everything and a cherry soda wit' chocolate ice cream.
- Why, this car could be System-matic, Hyyyyydro-matic, Ultra-matic. Why, its Greased Lightning!
- [singing] I got chills
And I'm losing control
Cause the power you're supplying.
- [singing] Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee,
Lousy with virginity.
Won't go to bed 'til I'm legally wed.
I can't, I'm Sandra Dee.
- [singing] Elvis! Elvis!
Let me be.
Keep that pelvis far from me!
- [singing] I don't steal and I don't lie.
But I can feel and I can cry;
A fact I bet you never knew.
But to cry in front of you,
That's the worst thing I could do.
- [singing] I don't drink...or swear...I don't rat my hair...
- [singing] [Panda falls on Betty] Keep your filthy paws off my silky drawers.
Would you pull that crap with Annette?
- Sandy, Sandy! Beauty is pain.
- [to Sandy] Men are rats, listen to me, they're fleas on rats, worse than that, they're amoebas on fleas on rats. I mean, they're too low for even the dogs to bite. The only man a girl can depend on is a daddy.
- If you can't be in athletics, at least be an athletic supporter.
- We have pictures of you so-called mooners. And just because the pictures aren't of your faces doesn't mean we can't identify you. At this very moment those pictures are on their way to Washington where the FBI has experts in this type of identification. If you turn yourselves in now, you may escape a Federal charge.
- Attention seniors. Before the merriment of commencement commences, I hope that your years with us here at Rydell have prepared you for the challenges you face. Who knows? Among you there may be a future Eleanor Roosevelt or a Rosemary Clooney, and among you young men, there may be a Joe DiMaggio, a President Eisenhower, or a Vice-President Nixon. But you will always the glorious memories of Rydell High. Rydell forever. Bon voyage.
- Sonny: When a guy picks a chick over his buddies, something's gotta be wrong. Come on, guys let's go for some pizza.
- Vince Fontaine: You Jims and Sals are my best pals, and to look your best for the big contest, just be yourself and have a ball, that's what it's all about after all! Just remember, it doesn't matter if you win or lose, it's what you do with your dancin' shoes.
- Leo, Scorpions member: The rules are... there ain't no rules!
- Sandy: I'm going back to Australia and I might never see you again.
- Danny: Don't... don't talk that way, Sandy.
- Sandy: But it's true! I've just had the best summer of my life, and now I have to go away. It isn't fair.
- [Danny starts kissing her]
- Sandy: Danny, don't spoil it!
- Danny: It's not spoiling it, Sandy, it's only making it better.
- Sandy: Danny... is this the end?
- Danny: Of course not. It's only the beginning.
- Sonny: Geez! Every teacher I got flunked me at least once! [about Principal McGee] Well, I ain't taking no crap off her this year! If she crosses me, she's gonna find out who's boss!
- Principal McGee: [coming around the corner] Sonny, aren't you supposed to be in homeroom right now?
- Sonny: I was just going for a walk.
- Principal McGee: You were just dawdling weren't you?
- Sonny: Yes, ma'am
- Principal McGee: That is no way to start a new semester, Mr. LaTierri!
- Sonny: [mumbles]
- Principal McGee: Perhaps a session of banging erasers after school would put you on the right track.
- Sonny: Yes, ma'am [laughs nervously]
- Principal McGee: Well? Are you just going to stand there all day?
- Sonny: No, ma'am. I mean, yes, ma'am, I mean...
- Principal McGee: Which is it, yes or no?
- Sonny: No ma'am
- Principal McGee: Good, then MOVE!
- [Principal McGee walks away]
- Danny: I'm sure glad you didn't take no crap off her, Sonny.
- Principal McGee: Blanche, do you have the schedules?
- Blanche: Yes Ms. McGee, I just had my hands on them.
- Principal McGee: Oh good, they'll be nice and smudged.
- Blanche: Oh here they are. If they would have been a snake they would have bitten me.
- Principal McGee: Blanche, these are the schedules we had for last semester. Maybe next year you'll find the ones for this semester.
- Marty: Do you think these glasses make me look smarter?
- Rizzo: Nah, you can still see your face.
- Rizzo: Look who's coming. Patty Simcox, the bad seed of Rydell High. [to Patty] Hi.
- Patty: Oh I just love the first day of school, don't you?
- Rizzo: [sarcastically] It's the biggest thrill of my life.
- Patty: Hey, they just announced the nominees for student council this morning and guess who's up for vice president?
- Rizzo: Who?
- Patty: ME. Isn't that the most? To say the least?
- Rizzo: The very least.
- Patty: Oh you MUST think I'm a terrible clod for not introducing myself to your friend!... Hi, I'm Patty Simcox...
- [moves to sit down, as Jan sticks her apple under her]
- Patty: Welcome to RydELL OH!
- [Sits on Jan's apple. Jan removes it as Patty sits down and shoots dirty look at Rizzo and Marty]
- Patty: Well, I hope you'll be at cheerleader tryouts. We'll have so much fun and get to be life-long friends!
- Girls: [singing] Tell me more, tell me more!
- Rizzo: 'Cause he sounds like a drag.
- Sandy: [about her summer love] He was sort of special.
- Rizzo: There ain't no such thing.
- Frenchy: What do you guys think of Sandy? Do you think we can let her into the Pink Ladies?
- Rizzo: Nah, she looks to pure to be pink!
- Danny: Well you know, these girls are only good for one thing.
- Sonny: Yeah, what are you suppose to do with them the rest of the 23 hours and 45 minutes of the day?
- Putzie: [With a serious but confused face] Is that all it takes 15 minutes?
- Rizzo: Hey Zuko! I've got a surprise for you.
- Danny: Oh, Yeah?
- Rizzo: [chuckles] Yeah. [throws Sandy in front of him]
- Danny: Sandy!
- Sandy: Danny!
- Danny: Wha-what are you doing here, I thought you were moving back to Australia?
- Sandy: We were but we had a change in plans!
- [His friends stare at Danny with a strange face and he changes moods, pretending like he doesn't care]
- Danny: That's cool baby, you know how it is, rockin' and rollin' and what not.
- Sandy: Danny?
- Danny: That's my name, don't wear it out.
- Sandy: What's the matter with you?
- Danny: What's the matter with me, baby, what's the matter with you?
- Sandy: What happened to the Danny Zuko I met at the beach?
- Danny: Well I do not know. Maybe there's two of us. Why don't you take out a missing person's ad? Or try the yellow pages, I don't know.
- Sandy: You're a fake and a phony and I wish I never laid eyes on you!
- Rizzo: [breaks out a bottle of wine] How about a little Sneaky Pete to get the party going?
- [the girls all cheer]
- Jan: Anyone want a Twinkie?
- Marty: Twinkies and wine? Oh, that's real class, Jan.
- Jan: It says right here it's a dessert wine.
- [offers bottle to Sandy who's hesitant]
- Jan: What's the matter? We don't got cooties!
- Rizzo: I'll bet you've never had a drink before, have you?
- Sandy: Oh, yes I did. I had some champagne at my cousin's wedding once.
- Rizzo: Well, ring-a-ding-ding.
- Sandy: Are you making fun of me, Riz?
- Rizzo: Some people are so touchy.
- Danny: You're looking good, Riz.
- Rizzo: Eat your heart out.
- Danny: But sloppy seconds ain't my style.
- Danny: Oh, bite the weenie, Riz.
- Rizzo: With relish.
- Rizzo: Where are you goin'? To flog your log?
- Danny: Much better then hanging around here with you dorks.
- Sandy: My parents want to invite you over for tea on Sunday.
- [the gang freezes, listening in]
- Danny: I don't like tea.
- Sandy: [laughing] You don't have to drink tea.
- Danny: I don't like parents.
- Rizzo: I've got so many hickies people will think I'm a leper.
- Kenickie: Relax... A hickie from Kenickie is like a Hallmark card, when you only care enough to send the very best!
- Rizzo: You pig!
- Kenickie: Oh, I love it when you talk dirty!
- Jan: You mean you're dropping out?
- Frenchy: I don't look at it as dropping out! I look at it as a very strategic career move.
- Frenchy: I wish I had a guardian angel to tell me what to do. You know, like Debbie Reynolds had in Tammy. What do you think?
- Waitress: If you find him, give him my phone number.
- Frenchy: Doody, how do I look?
- Doody: Like a beautiful blonde pineapple!
- [Sonny spikes the punch, teacher chaperone turns to watch Sonny]
- Mr. Lynch: What are you doing?
- Sonny: Washing my hands.
- Blanche: When I hear music, I just can't make my feet behave.
- Sonny: She thinks she's Tinkerbell.
- Blanche: Hush, Sonny!
- Vince: Hi, I'm Vince Fontaine, I'm judging the dance contest.
- Marty: I don't think I'm entered.
- Vince: A knockout like you? What's your name?
- Marty: Marty.
- Vince: Marty what?
- Marty: Maraschino. You know, as in cherry.
- Cha Cha: They call me Cha Cha because I'm the best dancer at St. Bernadette's.
- Frenchy: With the worst reputation.
- Coach Calhoun: Game rule one: all couples must be boy-girl.
- Putzie: Yeah, too bad, Eugene.
- Principal McGee: [continuing with dance rules] Anyone doing tasteless or vulgar movements will be immediately disqualified
- Rizzo: Well, that leaves us out!
- Coach Calhoun: Let's keep it clean, people. Let's keep it clean.
- [Danny is trying to make out with Sandy at the drive-in]
- Sandy: No, Danny!
- Danny: Sandy, don't worry about it, nobody's watching.
- Sandy: Danny, get off me!
- Danny: Come on, Sandy, what's the matter with you? I thought I meant something to you!
- Sandy: Meant something to you?! You think I'm going to stay here with you in this? This sin wagon? You can take this piece of tin!
- [throws his class ring at him and runs away]
- Danny: Sandy, you just can't walk out of a drive-in!
- Sandy: Well, just watch me!
- Coach Calhoun: [Danny is trying out for wrestling and smoking a cigarette] All right, let's trying cutting it to two packs a day. Now, you have to change.
- Danny: Well, yeah. That's why I'm here, ya know? To change.
- Coach Calhoun: No, I mean your clothes.
- Danny: Oh.
- Coach Calhoun: [after Danny has failed at wrestling, basketball, and baseball, getting in fights each time] Well, you know, there are a lot of other sports that don't require any physical contact.
- Danny: Oh, yeah? Like what?
- Coach Calhoun: Like, uh... track!
- Danny: What do you mean, like running?
- Coach Calhoun: Not just running! Something that needs endurance! Something that needs stamina! Like, long-distance running! Cross-country running!
- Danny: That could be cool.
- Marty: What's with you tonight?
- Rizzo: I feel like a defective typewriter.
- Marty: Huh?
- Rizzo: I skipped a period.
- Marty: Think you're P.G.?
- Kenickie: Hey Rizzo, I hear you're knocked up.
- Rizzo: You do, huh? Boy, good new really travels fast.
- [shoots Marty a look of contempt]
- Kenickie: Hey listen, why didn't you tell me?
- Rizzo: What's it to you?
- Kenickie: Anything I can do?
- Rizzo: You did enough!
- Kenickie: I don't run away from my mistakes
- Rizzo: Don't worry about it Kenickie, it was somebody else's mistake.
- Kenickie: Thanks a lot, kid.
- [Kenickie walks away]
- Rizzo: Any time...
- John Travolta - Danny Zuko
- Olivia Newton-John - Sandy Olsson
- Stockard Channing - Betty Rizzo
- Jeff Conaway - Kenickie
- Micheal Tucci - Sonny
- Didi Conn - Frenchy
- Dinah Manoff - Marty Maraschino
- Eve Arden - Principal McGee
- Frankie Avalon - The Teen Angel
- Edd Byrnes - Vince Fontaine
- Sid Caesar - Coach Calhoun
- Lorenzo Lamas - Tom Chisum
- Susan Buckner - Patty Simcox
- Eddie Deezen - Eugene Felnic