Inasmuch as it is a collection recorded by different scribes, there is no one book of hadith for all Muslims; there are several hadith books. Hadith is second in authority only to the Quran.
The Hadith (الحديث)
- The Prophet said, "On the night of my Ascent to the Heaven, I saw Moses who was a tall brown curly-haired man as if he was one of the men of Shan'awa tribe, and I saw Jesus, a man of medium height and moderate complexion inclined to the red and white colors and of lank hair. I also saw Malik, the gate-keeper of the (Hell) Fire and Ad-Dajjal [the Antichrist] amongst the signs which Allah showed me."
- Allah's Apostle said "How will you be when the son of Mary (Jesus) descends amongst you and he will judge people by the Law of the Qur'an and not by the law of Gospel?"
- The Prophet said, "On the Day of Resurrection the Believers will assemble and say, 'Let us ask somebody to intercede for us with our Lord.' … 'Go to Jesus, Allah's Slave, His Apostle and Allah's Word and a Spirit coming from Him.' Jesus will say, 'I am not fit for this undertaking, go to Muhammad the Slave of Allah whose past and future sins were forgiven by Allah.' So they will come to me and I will proceed till I will ask my Lord's Permission and I will be given permission.
- In the Hadith of the Prophet Muhammad, he said, "Judgment day will not come until the Muslims fight the Jews, and the Muslims will kill the Jews, and then the Jews will hide behind stones or trees, and the stone or the tree will say: Oh Muslim, oh servant of Allah, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him - except for the Gharqad, which is a tree of the Jews."
While Muslims in the Western world purport to not follow or trust the validity of this hadith, in the Middle East it is often repeated in sermons, political speeches and television broadcasts. MEMRI TV has many examples, one of which follows:
- According to a hadith by the Prophet, a people or a nation that forsakes the Jihad will be humiliated.
- IHSAN, Encyclopedia of hadith