Be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at stars.Henry Van Dyke
- Just because we're holding hands doesn't mean we'll be taking warm showers together until the wee hours of the morning.
- [introducing himself to his new platoon] My name is Gunnery Sergeant Highway and I've drunk more beer and pissed more blood, banged more quiff and busted more ass, than all you numbnuts put together.
- Col. Meyers: [during a readiness exercise]: What's your assessment of this situation, Gunny?
- Highway: It's a cluster fuck, sir.
- Col. Meyers: Say again?
- Highway: Marines are fighting men. They shouldn't be sitting around on their sorry asses filling out request forms for equipment they should already have, sir.
- Stitch Jones: [explaining that a training exercise is rigged]: Major Powers wants us to die in a loud, grotesque, military manner.
- Highway: I don't give a fuck about Major Powers.
- Swede Johanson: [before he attacks Highway]: I'm gonna rip your head off and shit down your neck.
- Highway: [after subduing Swede, just before he punches him] Stick your chin up. Higher.
- Judge: [reading the charges] Sergeant Highway. Drunk and disorderly, assault on an officer, urinating on a police vehicle?
- Highway: Well, it seemed like the thing to do.
- Choozoo: [finding newly-arrived Highway drinking his coffee] Hey, crotch rot, you gonna slurp my lifer's juice out of my own cup?
- Highway: Yeah, I should've gotten shots beforehand.
- Choozoo: If your brain was half as quick as your mouth, skunk stool, you'd be a friggin' twenty-star general by now.
- Highway: And if I was half as ugly as you, Sergeant Major, I'd be a poster boy for a prophylactic.
- [Choozoo tells Jones about the Battle of Heartbreak Ridge]
- Choozoo: It ain't in any of the history books. Just a little piece of war. Stony Jackson took one look up and said, "Ladies, if it don't kill us, it will surely break our hearts." ... He was our platoon sergeant. He was the one recommended Highway for his Congressional Medal of Honor.
- Stitch Jones: Gunny Highway won the CMH?
- Choozoo: He charged two machine gun nests by himself. Didn't sleep for three days. The final human wave, he held off almost singlehandedly. When it was over, there's me, Stony Jackson, Tom Highway. We're the only ones still alive.
- Highway: [when told by Choozoo that he has to go back up the hill] Well you're full of all kinds of good news.
- Choozoo: You're too ugly to live forever.