A person is never happy till their vague strivings has itself marked out its proper limitations.Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
Heaven is an afterlife concept found in many religions or spiritual philosophies.
- He who seldom thinks of heaven is not likely to get thither; as the only way to hit the mark is to keep the eye fixed upon it.
- Bishop Horne, Aphorisms and opinions of Dr. George Horne
- The redeemed shall walk there.
- Isaiah 35:9
- Heaven will be no heaven to me if I do not meet my wife there.
- Statement shortly before his death, as quoted in Life of Andrew Jackson (1860) by James Parton, p. 679.
- If Christians have the monopoly of salvation, over whom will they rule? And how will this promise be fulfilled, that to faithful servants is given the authority over five or ten cities (Luke 19:17-19)? It is no fun to be king over empty towns. So they will be populated by those who have not been faithful servants. We Christians will be in the heavenly Jerusalem, but there will also be nations walking in its light (Revelation 21:24). The leaves of the tree of life will serve for the healing of the nations (Revelation 22:2), which means that there will be in the life beyond people who need a cure for their souls. - Richard Wurmbrand, If Prison Walls Could Speak (1972)
- He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.
- Jim Elliot, The Journals of Jim Elliot October 28, 1949
- Heaven, as conventionally conceived, is a place so inane, so dull, so useless, so miserable, that nobody has ever ventured to describe a whole day in heaven, though plenty of people have described a day at the seaside.
- George Bernard Shaw, A Treatise On Parents And Children 1910
- Heaven is not a place, and it is not a time. Heaven is being perfect.
- Blessed is the pilgrim, who in every place, and at all times of this his banishment in the body, calling upon the holy name of Jesus, calleth to mind his native heavenly land, where his blessed Master, the King of saints and angels, waiteth to receive him. Blessed is the pilgrim who seeketh not an abiding place unto himself in this world; but longeth to be dissolved, and be with Christ in heaven.
- Thomas à Kempis, Vera Sapientia or True Wisdom
- Heaven will be inherited by every man who has heaven in his soul. "The kingdom of God is within you."
- Henry Ward Beecher, Life Thoughts: Gathered from the Extemporaneous Discourses of Henry Ward Beecher
- Nothing is further than Earth from Heaven: nothing is nearer than Heaven to Earth.
- Through death Christian's soul goes to—1st. Perfect purity 2dly. Fullness of joy. 3dly. Everlasting freedom. 4thly. Perfect rest. 5thly. Health and fruition. 6thly. Complete security. 7thly. Substantial and eternal good.
- Hannah More, diary entry 7 January, 1798
- Yet stay, heaven gates are not so highly arch'd As princes' palaces; they that enter there, Must go upon their knees.
- I cannot be content with less than heaven.
- Philip James Bailey, Festus
- All the way to Heaven is heaven.
- Name something you like. I bet it's not in heaven. Sex? Sorry, lust is a sin. Can't have it. Your career? Nope. There's no money in heaven; nobody needs to work. Besides, as far as I can tell from studying the scriptures, all you do in heaven is pretty much just sit around all day and praise the Lord. I don't know about you, but I think that after the first, oh, I don't know, 50,000,000 years of that I'd start to get a little bored.
- Rick Reynolds
- "Name something you like." Ok, how about utter bliss. That will be there.
- My Heaven, is right here on Earth
- Heaven's not a place that you go when you die, it's that moment in life when you actually feel alive
- The Spill Canvas
- The generous who is always just, and the just who is always generous, may, unannounced, approach the throne of heaven.
- If our Creator has so bountifully provided for our existence here, which is but momentary, and for our temporal wants, which will soon be forgotten, how much more must He have done for our enjoyment in the everlasting world!
- Heaven does not make holiness, but holiness makes heaven.
- Heaven is the day of which grace is the dawn; the rich, ripe fruit of which grace is the lovely flower; the inner shrine of that most glorious temple to which grace forms the approach and outer court.