Quotations on the subject of hope.
- Because I do not hope to turn again
Because I do not hope
Because I do not hope to turn
Desiring this man's gift and that man's scope
I no longer strive to strive towards such things
(Why should the agèd eagle stretch its wings?)
Why should I mourn
The vanished power of the usual reign?
- Although I do not hope to turn again
Although I do not hope
Although I do not hope to turn
- Everything passes away - suffering, pain, blood, hunger, pestilence. The sword will pass away too, but the stars will still remain when the shadows of our presence and our deeds have vanished from the earth. There is no man who does not know that. Why, then, will we not turn our eyes towards the stars? Why?
- Mikhail Bulgakov, The White Guard
- "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment"
- Warhammer 40k, PC platform
- If you've destroyed a man's hope, you've destroyed the man.
- There is no worse death than the end of hope.
- Losing all hope is freedom.
- No life with desperateness, and no desperateness with life.
- One who has health has hope, and one who has hope has everything.
- A leader is a dealer in hope.
- A losing battle is a battle being fought nonetheless.
- General Teofisto Gaurano
- Remember there is always hope.
- Jermaine J. Evans
- Hope is a light we keep inside that no one can touch.
- Jermaine J. Evans
- All human wisdom is summed up in two words — wait and hope.
- I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.
- Beware how you take away hope from another human being.
- Creativity comes from trust. Trust your instincts. And never hope more than you work.
- Even now I am full of hope, but the end lies in God. ~ Pindar
- Every area of trouble gives out a ray of hope; and the one unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain or unchangeable. ~ John Fitzgerald Kennedy
- Everything that is done in the world is done by hope. ~ Martin Luther
- Great hopes make great men. ~ Thomas Fuller
- He that lives upon hope will die fasting. ~ Benjamin Franklin
- Hope and fear are inseparable. ~ La Rochefoucauld
- Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: you don't give up. ~ Anne Lamott
- Hope dies last. (Or Hope is the last thing to be lost) (La esperanza es lo último que se pierde) ~ Spanish proverb
- Hope dies last but is first to be resurrected from the ashes. ~ Leonid S. Sukhorukov
- Hope is a state of mind, not of the world. Hope, in this deep and powerful sense, is not the same as joy that things are going well, or willingness to invest in enterprises that are obviously heading for success, but rather an ability to work for something because it is good. ~ Vaclav Havel
- Hope is the poor man's bread. ~ George Herbet
- Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. ~ English proverb
- Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all.
~ Emily Dickinson ~
- Hope is a waking dream. ~ Aristotle
- Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free. ~ The Shawshank Redemption
- Hope is hope for infinite Hope. ~ J.R.R. Tolkien
- Hope? Oh yes, there is hope - infinite hope. But not for us. ~ Franz Kafka
- Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment. ~ Librarian - Warhammer 40,000
- Hope is necessary in every condition. The miseries of poverty, sickness and captivity would, without this comfort, be insupportable. ~ Samuel Johnson
- Hope is not the conviction that something will turn out well, but the certainty that something makes sense regardless of how it turns out. ~ Vaclav Havel
- Hope is the best possession. None are completely wretched but those who are without hope, and few are reduced so low as that. ~ William Hazlitt
- Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent. ~ Jean Kerr
- Hope is the pillar of the world. ~ Anonymous
- I am not even hope ~ Anonymous
- Hope — it is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength and your greatest weakness. ~ The Architect The Matrix Reloaded
- Hope makes for a good breakfast, but a poor supper. ~ Francis Bacon
- Hope? Only for a hopeless future. ~ Dylan Turner
- Hope sees the invisible, feels the intangible and achieves the impossible. ~ Charles Caleb Colton
- Hope springs eternal within the human breast:
Man never is, but always to be blest. ~ Alexander Pope
- At a man's heart, hope isn't the last thing that dies, after that there is a slighly sound of fear,and by that, two things can result with his soul: a endless reing of fear, that will haunt him to last his days or a fear so strong about what that man can lose, that makes him undertake any obstacle and regain hope at last. ~ Marcel Gaston
- I steer my bark with hope in the head, leaving fear astern. My hopes indeed sometimes fail, but not oftener than the forebodings of the gloomy. ~ Thomas Jefferson
- I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going but I'm on the way. ~ Carl Sandburg
- If I was perfect, then you would be coming to my house to pray to me. ~ Jeffrey L Keller
- If it were not for hopes, the heart would break. ~ Thomas Fuller
- If we were logical, the future would be bleak indeed. But we are more than logical. We are human beings, and we have faith and we have hope, and we can work. ~ Jacques Cousteau
- In all pleasure, hope is a considerable part ~ Samuel Johnson
- In this uncertain space between birth and death … we need hope as surely as we need food and water, love and friendship. The trick, however, is to remember that hope is a perilous thing, that it's not a steel and concrete bridge across the void between this moment and a brighter future. Hope is no stronger than tremulous beads of dew strung on a filament of spider web, and it alone can't long support the terrible weight of an anguished mind and a tortured heart. - by T.G.S.R.
- It is the around-the-corner brand of hope that prompts people to action, while the distant hope acts an opiate. ~ Eric Hoffer
- Just as despair can come to one only from other human beings, hope, too, can be given to one only by other human beings. ~ Elie Weisel
- Justice divine has weighed: the doom is clear. All hope renounce, ye lost, who enter here.
(Giustizia mosse il mio alto fattore;
fecemi la divina podestate,
la somma sapienza e 'l primo amore.
Dinanzi a me non fuor cose create
se non etterne, e io etterno duro.
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'entrate)~ Dante Alighieri, from The Divine Comedy: Inferno
- Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is to not stop questioning. ~ Albert Einstein
- Light tomorrow with today. ~ Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- Listen now to the gentle whispers of hope. ~ Charles D. Brodhead
- Never deprive someone of hope — it may be all they have. - H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
- Never give out while there is hope; but hope not beyond reason, for that shows more of desire than judgement ~ William Penn
- Never give up, never surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest
- Optimism is the father that leads to achievement. ~ Helen Keller
- Remember Red. Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies. ~ The Shawshank Redemption
- Hope is the confidence or belief pertaining to ones ability to predict outcome/s. When the foundations of that confidence or belief are shaken hope slowly melts away. ~ Shrikant
- I am prepared for the worst, but hope for the best. ~ Bejamin Disraeli
- Strong hope is a much greater stimulant to life than any single realized joy could be. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche
- The future belongs to those who believe in their dreams. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
- The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty ~ Winston Churchill
- The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for. And the most you can do is live inside that hope. Not admire it from a distance but live right in it, under its roof. ~ Barbara Kingsolver
- There is always fertilization of new sap in the suffered immolations. ~ Julián Sancerni Giménez
- There is no hope of joy except in human relations. ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
- There is no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather. ~ John Ruskin
- To hope means to be ready at every moment for that which is not yet born, and yet not become desperate if there is no birth in our lifetime. ~ Erich Fromm
- True hope dwells on the possible, even when life seems to be a plot written by someone who wants to see how much adversity we can overcome. True hope responds to the real world, to real life; it is an active effort ~ Walter Anderson
- True hope is swift, and flies with swallow's wings. ~ William Shakespeare
- We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope. ~ Martin Luther King
- We should not let our fears hold us back from pursuing our hopes. ~ John Fitzgerald Kennedy
- While there's life, there's hope! ~ Cicero
- Words without actions are the assassins of idealism. ~ Herbert Hoover
- Your hopes, dreams and aspirations are legitimate. They are trying to take you airborne, above the clouds, above the storms, if you only let them. ~ William James
- Hope equals desire accompanied by expectation ~ James Nichols III
- Hope gave man a reason to live ~ Faryal Khan Kharal
- High expectations are the keys to everything. SAAD
- Onward Phoenix! Sire of the sun,/ Forever, it's desire that burns within/ That melts the ice to bring you home ~ The Phoenix by Eiseart Dunne
- Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God. ~ Corrie ten Boom
- Hope,last and most dangerous thing a person can lose-Anonymus
- In every second when there is hope and despair, in every such moment, there is an opportunity waiting for you. Just have the courage to uncover it. ~ AS
- "Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart, and you'll never walk alone, you'll never walk alone " ~ Song You'll Never Walk Alone - Music by Richard Rodgers; Text by Oscar Hammerstein II
- "Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torment of man." -Friedrich Nietzsche
- "Yet it is necessary to hope, though hope should always be deluded, for hope itself is happiness, and its frustrations, however frequent, are yet less dreadful than its extinction." -Samuel Johnson, Idler #58
- "Hope is not blind optimism. It's not ignoring the enormity of the task ahead, or the roadblocks that stand in our path. It's not sitting on the sidelines or shirking from a fight. Hope is that thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us if we have the courage to reach for it, work for it, and fight for it." - Barack Obama
- Imagine a man who doesn't believe in anything, hope for anything, doesn't love anyone. This is a description of a dead or paralyzed soul. This happens from great grief, or from an unhappy upbringing when parents make from their children's souls paralytics.
- Simon Soloveychik, Parenting for Everyone (1989)
- Man can lose time and money yet keeps going but a lose of hope, destroys the man- (Ukwuoma Uju)
- Be a dreamer. If you don't know how to dream, you're dead. – Jim Valvano
- Many are the strange chances of the world... and help oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter. - J. R. R. Tolkein, The Silmarillion
- If you've lost your faith in love and music, the end won't be long" Pete Doherty and Carl Barat, The Libetines-The Good Old Days
- "You Can't Hope Forever" - Scott Thomson
- "Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." ~ Raistlin Majere, Dragonlance series, unidentified work/edition/page
- "Nature has fixed no limits on our hopes" - Björk, "Hope"
- "Hope is a place somewhere between take off and landing."
- Oliver Dykes
- If you don't have hope, then you dont have anything. If you don't have anything, then hope you will get something.
- Jordan Kai Simmons
- You can't just hope-you have to go out there and make things happen.
- The essential thing is hope, loss of hope makes for desperate people and desperate people do desperate things.
- Lord Michael V. Bacon
- But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? (δὲ βλεπομένη οὐκ ἔστιν ἐλπίς ὃ γὰρ βλέπει τίς ἐλπίζει) (Romans 8:24b)
- "Hope seemed a respect which fatigue grants to the necessity of the world." - Deathspell Omega, "Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum"
- "Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again"-Chico Science
- "Hope is a desire everyone needs"-Charenee Penaflor
- "Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and your greatest weakness." -The Architect (The Matrix Reloaded)