I Am Legend (film)
I Am Legend (2007) is an American post-apocalyptic science fiction horror film directed by Francis Lawrence and starring Will Smith. It is the third film adaptation of Richard Matheson's novel I Am Legend (1954), following The Last Man on Earth (1964) and The Omega Man (1971).
- This is ground zero. This is my site.
- To his wife, and later to Anna, on refusing to leave New York City.
- Just fishin' in the dark son.
- Frustration in reference to his efforts on finding a cure.
- I'm not gonna let this happen.
- To his wife, and later to Anna.
- What should I say? "Hello. You wanna see some infected rats?" [pauses] I'll say hello tomorrow.
- Speaking about a mannequin at the DVD store
- My name is Robert Neville. I am a survivor living in New York City. I am broadcasting on all AM frequencies. I will be at the South Street Seaport everyday at midday, when the sun is highest in the sky. If you are out there—if anyone is out there—I can provide food, I can provide shelter, I can provide security. If there's anybody out there—anybody—please, you are not alone.
- Taped message on his daily radio broadcasts.
- I promised my friend I'd say hello to you today... "Hello"... Hello. [pauses] Please say hello to me... [pauses] Please say hello to me... [pauses again and begins to weep] Please say hello to me...
- To the mannequin at the DVD store right after the death of Sam
- The Krippin virus is ...elegant.
- [The "dark seekers" have moved one of Neville's DVD store mannequins outside in front of Grand Central Terminal] "What the hell are you doing out here, Fred?! What the..what the hell are you — No! NO!! NO!! [Grabs his gun and points it at "Fred", yelling so frantically his voice goes hoarse] What the hell are you doing out here Fred?! How did you get out here?! Fred, if you're real, you better tell me right now! If you're real you better tell me right NOW! [shoots Fred the mannequin repeatedly; it falls down] ... Dammit, Fred, dammit!"
- There's no survivor's colony, no safe zone. Nothing happened the way it was supposed to happen. Nothing worked the way it was supposed to work.
- To Anna,objecting to her plan to go to Vermont.
- Everybody's dead! Everybody is dead! [pauses, after his outburst] I need a minute. I just ... I was saving that bacon. I was saving it.
- To Anna, after being upset at her idea that there are other survivors in Vermont.
- He had this idea. It was kind of a virologist idea. He believed that you could cure racism and hate — literally cure it, by injecting music and love into people's lives.
One day he was scheduled to perform at a peace rally, gunmen came to his house and shot him down. Two days later, he walked out on that stage and sang.
Somebody asked him "why" he said: "The people that are trying to make this world worse are not taking a day off — how can I? — Light up the darkness.
- To Anna, about Bob Marley
- God didn't do this, Anna. We did.
- Referring to the effects of the Krippin Virus.
- We're going to Vermont. To the survivor's colony.
- Ethan, put the knife down.
- Talking to Ethan after Robert scares them both and then goes upstairs.
- In 2009 a deadly virus burned through our civilization, pushing humankind to the edge of extinction. Dr. Robert Neville dedicated his life to the discovery of a cure, and the restoration of humanity. On September 9th 2012, at approximately 8:49 PM he discovered that cure; and at 8:52 he gave his life to defend it. We are his legacy. This is his legend. Light up the darkness.
- Mommy look, it's a butterfly!
- Neville: [While watching a video of Shrek, softly recites all of the dialogue of an entire scene aloud as the lines are spoken on TV. Anna and Ethan stare at him] "I like Shrek."
Anna: You're not so good with people anymore, are you?
- Anna: The world is quieter now. We just have to listen. If we listen, we can hear God's plan.
Neville: God's plan.
Neville: All right, let me tell you about your "God's plan". Six billion people on Earth when the infection hit. KV had a ninety-percent kill rate, that's five point four billion people dead. Crashed and bled out. Dead. Less than one-percent immunity. That left twelve million healthy people, like you, me, and Ethan. The other five hundred and eighty-eight million turned into your dark seekers, and then they got hungry and they killed and fed on everybody. Everybody! Every single person that you or I has ever known is dead! DEAD! THERE IS NO GOD!
- Neville: I think this is why you're here. [Places vial containing the KV antidote into Anna's hand as he prepares to face the "dark seekers."]
Anna: What are you doing?
Neville: I'm listening.