Ian Lancaster Fleming (May 28, 1908 – August 12, 1964) was a British author, journalist and Second World War Navy Commander. Fleming is best remembered for creating the character of James Bond and chronicling his adventures in twelve novels and nine short stories. Additionally, Fleming wrote the children's story Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and two non-fiction books.
- He sat down next door in the seat she had left and watched the grim suburbs of Philadelphia showing their sores, like beggars, to the rich train.
- Live and Let Die (1954), ch. 10
- It was a dark, clean-cut face, with a three-inch scar showing whitely down the sunburned skin of the right cheek. The eyes were wide and level under straight, rather long black brows. The hair was black, parted on the left, and carelessly brushed so that a thick black comma fell down over the right eyebrow. The longish straight nose ran down to a short upper lip below which was a wide and finely drawn but cruel mouth. The line of jaw was straight and firm. A section of dark suit, white shirt and black knitted tie completed the picture.
- From Russia with Love (1957)
- A medium Vodka dry Martini — with a slice of lemon peel. Shaken and not stirred.
- Dr. No (1958)
- You are right, Mr. Bond. That is just what I am, a maniac. All the greatest men are maniacs. They are possessed by a mania that drives them towards their goal. The great scientists, the philosophers, the religious leaders — all maniacs.
- Dr. No (1958), said by Dr. Julius No
- Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times, it's enemy action.
- Goldfinger (1959), said by Auric Goldfinger
- You only live twice. Once when you are born and once when you look death in the face.
- You Only Live Twice (1964)
- I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
- You Only Live Twice (1964)
- But some motorcars - mine, for instance, and perhaps yours - are different. If you get to like them and understand them, if you are kind to them and don't scratch their paint and bang their doors, if you fill them up and pump them up when they need it, of you keep them clean and polish and out the rain and snow as much as possible, you will find, you MAY find, that they become almost like persons - MORE than just ordinary persons - MAGICAL PERSONS!!!
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1964)
Casino Royale (1953)
- The scent and smoke and sweat of a casino are nauseating at three in the morning.
- Opening line
- Against the background of this luminous and sparkling stage Bond stood in the sunshine and felt his mission to be incongruous and remote and his dark profession an affront to his fellow actors.
- Ch. 5
- "A Dry Martini". Bond said. "In a deep champagne goblet. Three measures of Gordons, one of Vodka, half a measure of Kina Lillet. Shake it very well until it's ice cold. Got it?"
- Ch. 7
- "Surround yourself with Human Beings, my dear James. They are easier to fight for than principles." He laughed. "But don't let me down and become human yourself. We would lose a wonderful machine."
- Ch. 21
- It was the same with the whole Russian machine. Fear was the impulse. For them it was always safer to advance than retreat. Advance against the enemy and the bullet might miss you. Retreat, evade, betray and the bullet would never miss.
- Ch. 27
- A horse is dangerous at both ends and uncomfortable in the middle.
- Men want a woman whom they can turn on and off like a light switch.
- The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
- A woman should be an illusion.
- Older women are best, because they always think they may be doing it for the last time.
- My name is Bond, James Bond.