J. Frank Dobie
Love seeketh not itself to please, nor for itself hath any care, but for another gives its ease, and builds a Heaven in Hell's despair.William Blake
- From the introductory comments to Dobie's Guide to Life and Literature of the Southwest: "Not copyright in 1942. Again not copyright in 1952. Anybody is welcome to help himself to any of it in any way."
- "I have come to value liberated minds as the supreme good of life on earth."
- "The average Ph.D. thesis is nothing but a transfer of bones from one graveyard to another...."
- "Conform and be dull."
- "I rate censors, particularly those of church and state, as low as I rate character assassins; they often run together."
- "If during a decade a man does not change his mind on some things and develop new points of view, it is a pretty good sign that his mind is petrified and need no longer be accounted among the living."
- "I'd rather starve and be independent than thrive on conformity. I'm not starving."
- "Great literature transcends its native land, but none that I know of ignores its soil."