No woman marries for money; they are all clever enough, before marrying a millionaire, to fall in love with him first.Cesare Pavese
- I occasionally play works by contemporary composers and for two reasons. First to discourage the composer from writing any more and secondly to remind myself how much I appreciate Beethoven.
- If I don't practice one day, I know it; two days, the critics know it; three days, the public knows it.
- There is no top. There are always further heights to reach.
- I have discovered three things which know no geographical borders - classical music, American jazz, and applause as the sign of the public's favor.
- Can you appreciate music without playing it? Yes, you can. You can appreciate baseball without playing it. Many people attend a football game merely for the crowd, the excitement, the color.
- Criticism does not disturb me, for I am my own severest critic. Always in my playing I strive to surpass myself, and it is this constant struggle that makes music fascinating to me.
- No matter what side of an argument you're on, you always find some people on your side that wish you were on the other side.
- Born in Russia, first lessons at three, debut in Russia at seven, debut in America in 1917. That's all there is to say, really.
- On his life story