The ideas of a time are like the clothes of a season: they are as arbitrary, as much imposed by some superior will which is seldom explicit. They are utilitarian and political, the instruments of smooth-running government.Wyndham Lewis
James Allen Rhodes (13 September 1909 – 4 March 2001) was the longest serving governor for the state of Ohio (1963–1971, 1975–1983).
- "No man is an Ireland" (misquoting John Donne's, "No man is a island")
- "...this venereal institution" (In a speech concerning Ohio Univeristy, he intended to say, "venerable")
- "A seven course dinner down there [Jackson County, Ohio] is a possum and a six-pack."
- "Profit is not a dirty word in Ohio"
- "If every Ohioan would drink an extra 16-ounce can of [Ohio] tomato juice a year, 2,000 jobs would be created in Ohio."
- "Don't screw with the legislature."
- "The press are like dogs in heat. If you stand still, you get screwed. If you run away, they chase after you and bite you in the ass."
- "He's the kind of guy that gets out of the shower to piss." (referring to a member of the Ohio State legislature)