Joseph Paul DiMaggio, born Giuseppe Paolo DiMaggio, Jr. (November 25, 1914 – March 8, 1999), was a Major League Baseball center fielder who played his entire MLB career (1936–1951) for the New York Yankees. He was also nicknamed Joltin' Joe and The Yankee Clipper. He was married to Marilyn Monroe.
- I'd like to thank the Good Lord for making me a Yankee.
- All pitchers are born pitchers.
- I'll finally get to see Marilyn.
- His last word. Marilyn Monroe (died 1962) was his ex-wife.
- Some players are born to play ball
Quotes about Joe DiMaggio
- He knew what the press and the fans and the kids expected of him, and he was always trying to live up to that image. That's why he couldn't be silly in public like I could, or ever be caught without his shirt buttoned or his shoes shined. He knew he was Joe DiMaggio and he knew what that meant to the country.
- Lefty Grove
- I remember Joe DiMaggio's last at-bat in the World Series in 1951; we knew it was going to be his last at-bat. He hit a ball—a double to right-centre field and pulled up into second base in that elegant way he did. And, I think there were tears in my eyes, I was there that day. And I thought 'That's the last time I'll see him', but he was complete to the end.
- Roger Angell in Ken Burns' 1994 documentary Baseball 
Notes and references