John Jacob Astor IV
John Jacob Astor IV (13 July 1864 - 15 April 1912) American businessman, inventor, writer and a member of the prominent Astor family; at the beginning of the 20th century he was known as the richest man in the world.
- The ladies have to go first... Get in the lifeboat, to please me... Good-bye, dearie. I'll see you later.
- Last known words, giving up his own seat to a female passenger while putting his pregnant wife Madeline on one of the last lifeboats of the Titanic.
- A man who has a million dollars is as well off as if he were rich.
- Serve the classes, live with the masses. Serve the masses, live with the classes.
- I asked for ice, but this is ridiculous.
- Reaction after finding out the Titanic was struck by an iceberg.
- John Jacob Astor IV at Project Gutenberg
- Biography at Encyclopedia Titanica
- Colonel John Jacob Astor IV