Love laughs at locksmiths.Proverb
- Courage is being scared to death…and saddling up anyway.
- "Feo, Fuerte y Formal." [Wayne's answer to the question of how he would like to be remembered. Translated from Spanish it means "Ugly, Strong, and Dignified."]
- "I don’t feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves."
- "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
- "God, how I hate solemn funerals. When I die, take me into a room and burn me. Then my family and a few good friends should get together, have a few good belts, and talk about the crazy old time we all had together."
- "I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble."
- "I've always had deep faith that there is a Supreme Being, there has to be. To me that's just a normal thing to have that kind of faith. The fact that He's let me stick around a little longer, or She's let me stick around a little longer, certainly goes great with me--and I want to hang around as long as I'm healthy and not in anybody's way." From an interview with Barbara Walters shortly before his death
- "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (Epitaph on his tombstone 
- "I didn’t vote for him, but he’s my president, and I hope he does a good job." After learning that John F Kennedy, rather than Wayne's preference Richard Nixon, had been elected president.
- "Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be."