Jonny Wilkinson (born 25 May 1979 in Frimley, Surrey) is an English rugby union player, who has captained the England rugby union team. He plays for his club rugby in the Guinness Premiership for Newcastle Falcons.
- I like to think I play rugby as it should be played – there are no yellow or red cards in my collection - but I cannot say I'm an angel.
- I only get the points because I have team-mates who do the work and put me in the position to get them.
- My post-Sydney goals are to become a much better player and person.
- After the 2003 Rugby World Cup
- I play with a fear of letting people down. That's what motivates me.
- It's a privilege to be here amongst so many people I've grown up admiring and still watch it on the telly. I've been sat there staring at Boris Becker, one of my heroes, for half the evening.
- On winning BBC Sports personality of the year in 2003.
- I've been massively honoured to be part of a wonderful England team. To play under and be led by Martin Johnson is also such a humbling experience.
- I've gone past the stage of saying 'Why me... why does it always happen?'
- In reference to another injury-marred comeback.
- He was like Luke Skywalker in Star Wars, when he has his hand lopped off and keeps coming back again.
- Former England centre Jeremy Guscott, commenting on Wilkinson's return to the England side in the RBS 6 Nations in February 2007.
- You have to wonder in awe at that performance. I don't think even I thought he could be that good.
- RFU elite rugby director and former England fly-half Rob Andrew.
- He is a huge asset for the team and the game, and I just hope he stays in one piece.
- England captain Phil Vickery
- There was a lot of speculation about whether he should have played or not and ultimately he made the decision. I think he proved he made the correct one.
- England head coach Brian Ashton