Some people seem to go through life standing at the complaint counter.Fred Propp Jr.
- A legal thief, a bloodless murderer,
A find incarnate, a false userer.
- Virgidemarium (1598) IV.
- So little in his purse, so much upon his back.
- Portrait of a Poor Gallant.
- 'Mongst all these stirs of discontented strife,
O, let me lead an academic life;
To know much, and to think for nothing, know
Nothing to have, yet think we have enow.
- Discontent of Men with Their Condition.
- Death borders upon our birth, and our cradle stands in the grave.
- Epistles, Decade III, epistle 2. Compare: "And cradles rock us nearer to the tomb.
Our birth is nothing but our death begun", Edward Young, Night Thoughts, night v., line 718.
- There is many a rich stone laid up in the bowels of the earth, many a fair pearl laid up in the bosom of the sea, that never was seen, nor never shall be.
- Contemplations, Book IV, The Veil of Moses. Compare: "Full many a gem of purest ray serene / The dark, unfathomed caves of ocean bear", Thomas Gray, Elegy, stanza 14.
- Moderation is the silken string running through the pearl chain of all virtues.
- Christian Moderation, introduction.
- Perfection is the child of time…
- Quo vadis? A just Censure of Travel (1617).
- He is wealthy enough, that wanteth not: he is great enough, that is his own master: he is happy enough, that lives to die well.
- Meditation and Vows century III, LIX.
- A reputation once broken may possibly be repaired, but the world will always keep their eyes on the spot where the crack was.