The ideas of a time are like the clothes of a season: they are as arbitrary, as much imposed by some superior will which is seldom explicit. They are utilitarian and political, the instruments of smooth-running government.Wyndham Lewis
- Handguns are a public health issue.
- How do you get rid of the trash? It's out there in society, it's going on every day […] You can educate children an awful lot easier than you can get rid of the trash.
- Sipchen, Bob, "Straight Talk From a Straight Shooter Journeys: Joycelyn Elders was known for her outspokenness during her run", Los Angeles Times, July 3, 1997, p. E-1. URL accessed on 2007-05-20.
- We've tried ignorance for a thousand years. It's time we try education.
- As long as I was in Washington I never met anybody that I thought was good enough, who knew enough, or who loved enough to make sexual decisions for anybody else.
- If men went through menopause, we'd know everything about it, but we still don't even know if we should be taking hormones.
- We must stop this love affair with the fetus.
- I want every child that's born in the world to be planned and wanted.
- If you can't control your reproduction, you can't control your life.
- I'm against abstinence programs because I really consider "abstinence only" child abuse.
- Condoms will break, but I can assure you that vows of abstinence will break more easily than condoms.
- They are boycotting common sense.
- We know that more than 70 to 80% of women masturbate, and 90% of men masturbate, and the rest lie.
- If you say children wouldn't know anything about masturbation on their own, you've never changed a little boy's diaper.