Jurassic Park (novel)
Once we realize that imperfect understanding is the human condition, there is no shame in being wrong, only in failing to correct our mistakes.George Soros
- "You know, at times like this one feels, well, perhaps extinct animals should be left extinct"
- Iam Malcolm (p. 189)
- "There is a problem with that island. It is an accident waiting to happen."
- Ian Malcolm - Second Iteration "Malcolm"
- The reason I ask," Malcolm said, "is that I'm told large predators such as lions and tigers are not born man-eaters. Isn't that true? These animals must learn somewhere along the way that human beings are easy to kill. Only afterward do they become man-killers."
- Third Iteration "The Tour"
- But we have soothed ourselves into imagining sudden change as something that happens outside the normal order of things. An accident, like a car crash. Or beyond our control, like a fatal illness. We do not conceive of sudden, radical, irrational change as built into the very fabric of existence. Yet it is.
- Third Iteration "Breeding Sites"
- "Broadly speaking, the ability of the park to control the spread of life forms. Because the history of evolution is that life escapes all barriers. Life breaks free. Life expands to new territories. Painfully, perhaps even dangerously. But life finds a way." Malcom shook his head. "I don't mean to be philosophical, but there it is."
- Ian Malcolm - Third Iteration "Stegosaur"
- "Let's be clear. The planet is not in jeopardy. We are in jeopardy. We haven't got the power to destroy the planet - or to save it. But we might have the power to save ourselves."
- Ian Malcolm - Seventh Iteration "Destroying the World"
- Discovery is always a rape of the natural world. Always.
- p. 284
- I hate being right.
- Ian Malcolm
'Shoot her!!'....'Clever Girl'