This is a list of Kashmiri proverbs and sayings (Kaesherye katthe).
If you are adding or altering an entry, please try to supply a literal translation (as against only supplying an equivalent English language proverb).
- Anne poeshye tellye yellye wanne poeshye
- Translation: "Food will last while the forests last".
- Anyem soye, Wawem soye, Lajem soye paanesye!.
- Translation: I got the (nettle)sapling, I cultivated it, Its me the nettle stung <One who digs a ditch for another himself falls into it?>".
- Babban maer gaav te asye maa wonne kaensyee
- Translation: "Hey listen, dad slaughtered a cow and were not telling anyone! <context: slaughtering cows was a serious crime under Dogra occupation of Kashmir>".
- Balaaye aaye wakhtas; kokkerye khatche takhtas
- Translation: "Bad times came to be; hens on thrones we were to see!".
- Barre wotteye te daaryan taerye
- Translation: "Bolted windows with the door ajar!".
- Boennye taarun muhul
- Translation: "Forcing a bludgeon through a chinar (tree) trunk. <Doing the impossible.>".
- Byekel ne kanh, te garre patte dah!
- Translation: "Its tough to find fools; theres only ten in every other house!".
- Harkatye chye barkat
- Translation: "Blessed indeed is striving".
- "kokren mokhta chakun"
- translation:"putting pearls in front of chickens"
- Tellye gatchye toshun, yellye nosh garre waatye
- Translation: "<Don't count your chickens before they hatch>".
- Tchaerreye maette tchye wazaan
- Translation: "Empty vessels make much noise".
- Wanne chyan yaaryan; khoday sund sag
- Translation: "Trees in the wilderness are watered by God".
- Yaar kyah lavaan? tcharrye bacche kyah lavaan?
- Translation: "What care is a friend worth? What handling can a chickling take?".