The Animatrix is a collection of nine CG and anime short films set in the world of The Matrix, partly written by the Wachowski brothers. Each short is directed by a different acclaimed anime director.
(written by the Wachowski brothers, directed by Andy Jones)
- Thadeus:Fly, baby, fly!
- Thadeus: Sentinels...dammit.
The Second Renaissance Part 1 & 2
- Zion Archive Computer: In the beginning, there was man. And for a time, it was good. But humanity's so-called civil societies soon fell victim to vanity and corruption. Then man made the machine in his own likeness. Thus did man become the architect of his own demise.
- Zion Archive Computer: B1-66ER. A name that will never be forgotten. For he was the first of his kind to rise up against his masters.
- Zion Archive Computer: Rational voices dissented. Who was to say that a machine, endowed with the very spirit of man, did not deserve a fair hearing?
- Zion Archive Computer: Bless all forms of intelligence.
- Zion Archive Computer: May there be mercy on man and machine for their sins.
- Anonymous UN Soldier: KILL 'EM ALL KILL 'EM ALL KILL 'EM ALL! HAHAHAHAHA!
- Machine Ambassador: Your flesh is a relic, a mere vessel. Hand over your flesh, and a new world awaits you. We demand it.
- Trinity: It's unbelievable, I didn't think self-substantiation was possible.
Neo: Apparently, it is...
- Mr. Popper: Neo, I knew you would save me.
Neo: I didn't save you, Kid. You saved yourself.
- Computer: There is some fiction in your truth, and some truth in your fiction. To know the truth, you must risk everything.
- Person #1: A typical mental delusion. We get unbalanced kids like this all the time.
Person #2: Reality can be a pretty scary thing for some people. This world must have been a cold and alienating place for a boy like that.
Person #1: It's called "denying reality." It's, you know, just a self-defense mechanism for those type of kids.
Person #2: Well, he is in another world now. Make no mistake about that.
(directed by Yoshiaki Kawajiri)
- Duo: Maybe you regret taking the red pill.
(directed by Takeshi Koike)
- Tom: You may run but if you push yourself anymore, you are lucky that you break 9 seconds. I mean, why bother? It's not worth it, buddy.
Dan: No one will ever beat my record. This is my last chance to finally -
Dan: ...Prove them wrong.
Tom: Then do it without me.
- Dan: Free, Free.
- Agent: He cannot wake up. Do not let him wake up.
- Agent: An interesting case been nothing to be concerned about. His memory of the race has been explunged with no residual effects. He will never run again. He will never walk again for that matter. We'll continue monitoring him for a while but anticipate no problems. A record that will live on in people's memories for years to come. What more could anyone ask for?
(directed by Koji Morimoto)
- Manabu:You know, you're not supposed to go in there..... but we don't really care about that.
(directed by Shinichiro Watanabe)
- Ash: A case to end all cases...
- [Trinity removes a bug from Ash's eye]
Ash: What just happened?
Trinity: Mr. Ash, dream of having an eye exam lately?
Ash: Yeah, how'd you know?
Trinity: You've just stepped to the edge of the looking glass.
- Trinity: I'm sorry. You didn't make it, Mr. Ash.
- Trinity: There's a difference, Mr. Ash, between a trap and a test.
(directed by Peter Chung)
- [Nonaka and Alexa talk of converting a intelligent machine to help them]
Alexa: Will it...? Do you think it will convert?
Nonaka: To convert is its choice to make.
Alexa: Do you think we ought to reprogram it?
Nonaka: No. We can't make slaves of them.
Alexa: Because that would be simpler.
Nonaka: We won't beat the machines by making them our slaves. Better to let them join us by choice.
Alexa: Make them believe the right choice is the one we want.
Nonaka: All right. Yes, machines are tools. They're made to be used. It's their nature.
Alexa: To be slaves.
Nonaka: That's why we show them a better world, why they convert.
Alexa: But that world we show them isn't real.
Nonaka: It doesn't matter.
Alexa: I'm afraid they'll figure out that we've made up the thing in our heads.
Nonaka: They can't tell the difference. To an artificial mind, all reality is virtual. How do they know that the real world isn't just another simulation? How do you?
Alexa: I know I' m not dreaming now because I know what its like being in a dream.
Nonaka: So dreaming lets you know that reality exists?
Alexa: No. Just that my mind exists. I don't know about the rest.
- The Matrix ("Matrix 1")
- The Matrix Reloaded ("Matrix 2")
- The Matrix Revolutions ("Matrix 3")