Konrad Hermann Josef Adenauer (1876-01-05 – 1967-04-19) was a German statesman. Although his political career spanned 60 years, beginning as early as 1906, he is most noted for his role as Chancellor of West Germany from 1949-1963 and chairman of the Christian Democratic Union from 1950 to 1966. He was the oldest person to be chancellor after the Second World War.
- We will never forget. If it takes us five or ten or twenty years, we will never rest until we get our revenge.
- Quoted by General Sir Charles Fergusson recalling conversations with Adenauer in 1918-1919 (10 July, 1945.)
- Make Europe your revenge.
- To French PM Guy Mollet after British PM Sir Anthony Eden unilaterally cancelled the Suez operation, thus angering Mollet. (6 November, 1956.)
- In view of the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity.
- We all live under the same sky, but we don't all have the same horizon.
- What do I care about my chitchat from yesterday?
- Behind Magdeburg begins Siberia.