Kramer vs. Kramer
Kramer vs. Kramer is a 1979 film adapted from the novel by Avery Corman. The film tells the story of a divorce and its impact on everyone involved, including the couple's young son. It received the Academy Award for Best Picture in 1980.
- Ted Kramer: Margaret, I just need to know something. Did you put Joanna up to this?
- Margaret Phelps: No, I did not put Joanna up to this.
- Ted Kramer: Give her a little pep talk, maybe?
- Margaret Phelps: Joanna is a very unhappy woman and it took a lot of courage to walk out this door.
- Billy Kramer: When's mommy coming back?
- Ted Kramer: I don't know, Billy. Soon.
- Billy Kramer: How soon?
- Ted Kramer: Soon.
- Billy Kramer: Will she pick me up after school?
- Ted Kramer: Probably. And if she doesn't I will.
- Billy Kramer: What if you forget?
- Ted Kramer: I won't forget.
- Billy Kramer: What if you get run over by a truck and get killed?
- Ted Kramer: Then Mommy will pick you up.
- Billy Kramer, Phyllis Bernard: Hi.
- Billy Kramer: What's your name?
- Phyllis Bernard: I'm Phyllis Bernard.
- Billy Kramer: Who?
- Phyllis Bernard: I'm a friend... uh, business associate of your father's... dad.
- Ted Kramer: [In the bedroom] Oh, Jesus.
- Billy Kramer: Do you like fried chicken?
- Phyllis Bernard: Fried chicken? Very much.
- Billy Kramer: So do I.
- Phyllis Bernard: Uhm... well, it's really... It's been nice seeing you and...
- Billy Kramer: Bye.
- Phyllis Bernard: Bye.
[Phyllis Bernard comes back to the bedroom]
- Phyllis Bernard: Kramer, I just met your son.
[Ted is having lunch with his boss]
- Ted Kramer: So the other morning, I'm at the refrigerator... you know, getting Billy ready for school. So I'm just in my underwear and he notices I've lost weight. And he comes in and pats me. He comes up to here... [touches his stomach]... and he says "Daddy, you've really lost a lot of weight", he looks up at me and he says "And it's all gone to your nose." [laughs]
- Ted Kramer: He was so cute. You know?
[Ted and Billy are having dinner]
- Ted Kramer: How was school today?
- Billy Kramer: Same as usual.
- Ted Kramer: Hey, I see the Knicks finally won a game, what do you know?
- Billy Kramer: I don't care.
- Ted Kramer: What do you mean?
- Billy Kramer: I like Boston.
- Ted Kramer: Boston? Why do you like Boston?
- Billy Kramer: 'Cause Mommy's from Boston.
- Ted Kramer: [while Billy brings ice cream to the table] You go right back and put that right back until you finish your dinner... I'm warning you, you take one bite out of that and you are in big trouble. Don't... Hey! Don't you dare... Don't you DARE do that. You hear me? Hold it right there! You put that ice cream in your mouth and you are in very, very, VERY big trouble. Don't you dare go anywhere beyond that... Put it down right now. I am not going to say it again. I am NOT going to say it AGAIN.
[Billy eats ice cream]
- Billy Kramer: [Ted picks him up] Ow! You're hurting me!
- Ted Kramer: OW! Don't you kick me!
- Billy Kramer: I hate you!
- Ted Kramer: You're no bargain either, pal! You are a spoiled, rotten little brat and I'll tell you right now...
- Billy Kramer: I hate you!
- Ted Kramer: And I hate you back, you little shit!
- Billy Kramer: I want my mommy!
- Ted Kramer: I'm all you got.
Ted talking about Billy at court:
"We built a life together. We wake up and have breakfast and I take him to school and then I pick him up after school and we have dinner together and...I read him a bedtime story...I'm not always the perfect father...but I'm there. I'm there."
- Dustin Hoffman - Ted Kramer
- Meryl Streep - Joanna Kramer
- Jane Alexander - Margaret Phelps
- Justin Henry - Billy Kramer
- Howard Duff - John Shaunessy
- George Coe - Jim O'Connor
- JoBeth Williams - Phyllis Bernard (as Jobeth Williams)
- Bill Moor - Gressen
- Howland Chamberlain - Judge Atkins
- Jack Ramage - Spencer
- Jess Osuna - Ackerman
- Nicholas Hormann - Interviewer
- Ellen Parker - Teacher
- Shelby Brammer - Ted's Secretary
- Carol Nadell - Mrs. Kline
- Donald Gantry - Surgeon
- Judith Calder - Receptionist
- Peter Lownds - Norman
- Kathleen Keller - Waitress
- Ingeborg Sørensen - Woman at Christmas Party
- Iris Albanti - Partygoer
- Richard Barris - Partygoer
- Evelyn Hope Bunn - Partygoer
- Joann Friedman - Partygoer
- Quentin J. Hruska - Partygoer
- Joe Seneca - Partygoer
- Dan Tyra - Court Clerk
- David Golden - Grocer
- Petra King - Petie Phelps
- Melissa Morell - Kim Phelps
- Frederick W. Hand - Street Musician
- Scott Kuney - Street Musician
- Sean Albertson - Boy in Hospital (uncredited)
- Matteo Cafiso - Schoolmate; Boy in Park (uncredited)
- Conrad Pomerleau - Waiter (uncredited)