Laurence J. Peter
Some people seem to go through life standing at the complaint counter.Fred Propp Jr.
- In a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence.
- The Peter Principle (1968), ch. 1
- Statement of the Peter Principle
- Bureaucracy defends the status quo long past the time when the quo has lost its status.
- Peter's Quotations: Ideas for Our Time (1977) ISBN 0-688-03217-6, p. 83
- Television has changed the American child from an irresistible force into an immovable object.
- Peter's Quotations, p. 324
- When you see yourself quoted in print and you're sorry you said it, it suddenly becomes a misquotation.
- Peter's Quotations, p. 418
- The only valid rule about the proper length of a statement is that it achieve its purpose effectively.
- Peter's Quotations: Ideas for Our Time, Introduction, p. 10
- The habitually punctual make all their mistakes right on time.
- Peter's Quotations: Ideas for Our Time, p. 181
- Cleaning anything involves making something else dirty, but anything can get dirty without something else getting clean.
- Early to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise.
- In spite of warnings, nothing much happens until the status quo becomes more painful than change.
- Marriage is a romance in which the hero dies in the first chapter.
- The hardest thing in life is to learn which bridge to cross and which to burn.
- The noblest dog is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.