Layer Cake is a 2004 film. The film is set in London, and focuses on an unnamed successful cocaine dealer (represented in the credits as XXXX, played by Daniel Craig). At only 29, he has a respected place amongst England's Mafia, and is secretly planning to retire from the business.
- When I was born, the world was a far simpler place. It was all just cops and robbers.
- Always remember that one day all this drug monkey business will be legal. They won't leave it to people like me... not when they finally figure out how much money is to be made - not millions, fucking billions. Recreational Drugs PLC - giving the people what they want... Good times today, stupor tomorrow. But this is now, so until prohibition ends make hay while the sun shines.
- I mean, it's like selling anything: washing machines, handmade shoes, blow jobs. As long as you don't take the piss, people will always come back for more.
- Life is so fucking good, I can taste it in my spit.
- I'm not a gangster, I'm a businessman whose commodity happens to be cocaine.
- But as some roman general once said: If you seek peace, plan for war.
- My name? If you knew that, you'd be as clever as me.
- You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake son.
- England. Typical. Even drug dealers don't work weekends
- Opera Tonight. The damnation of Faust. Man sells his soul to the devil. All ends in tears, these arrangements usually do.
- The art of good business is being a good middleman.
- I've checked you out, son. You're a smart lad. But you keep very, very bad company
- Somebody's about to get a fucking slapping!
- [About Duke] He's a fucking maniac, a relic, a throwback. Belongs to the Dark Ages, Gene.
- This shit is out of control. You sort it out, or I'll sort you out.
- Jimmy Price: You know why people like you can't leave this business? Because you make too much money for people like me.
- Cody: Black! You can't have black. Black's the color for a hearse or a taxi.
- Shanks: But he got unlucky because this lot are wanted for fuckin' war crimes! Mass murder, ethnic cleansin'. They're lunatics! They're wanted by the United fucking Nations.
- Shanks: Now, his party piece, right... is lopping people's heads off, then fetching 'em back to his boss.
- Gene: If you have to kill a person, never ever tell a living soul.
- Dragan: Don't piss in my pocket and tell me it's raining.
- Duke: Oh, you give a fuckin' asprin a headache, pal!
- Tammy: Patience, darling. All good things come to those who wait.
- Tammy: Oooh it's fresh this morning. Look at my nipples, standing up like little soldiers.
- Crazy Larry: Fucking females is for poofs!
- Clarkie: Where the fuck is Gene?
- Terry: I don't know, mate. Ask me one on sport.
- XXXX: Well, don't think too long, because somebody's gonna make a killing on these pills.
- Trevor: They already have. That's the problem, kidder.
- XXXX: [over the phone] Dragan?
- Dragan: Yes."
- XXXX: I've got an idea... Why don't you come 'round for breakfast? I'll squeeze some orange juice and grind some coffee and we can talk about this like adults. How's that sound?"
- Dragan: Sounds very hospitable.
- XXXX: Do you know where I live?
- Dragan: No.
- XXXX: Well, fuck off then.
- Gene: [to XXXX] This what being a gangster gets you. You're not in there 'cause I like you.
- Morty: I'm beginning to feel left out.
- Gene: Why? I seem to recall a friend of yours in intensive care after your little... reunion.
- XXXX: That's a very expansive question.
- Jimmy Price: Expansive? [laughs] Tell me son, are you a homosexual? The day was when only homosexual's used words like "expansive". You're not a homosexual are you? Not behind in your rent?
- Jimmy Price: "Details, details. Things to do. Things to get done. Don't bother me with details, just tell me when they're done." Who said that, son?
- XXXX: Winston Churchill?
- Jimmy Price: Close. No, I said it. James Lionel Price.